Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Toshiba E Studio 507 scan folders

Does anyone know if you can setup multi scan folders on a Toshiba E Studio 507 with the standard equipment that comes with machine? If so, how do you do it.
    Can it be done with remote 1 scan folder and somehow setup sub folders within that folder for individual workstations that can access their own sub folder that is password protected? Not sure if you have to setup separate templetes first then a sub folder. Please can someone clarify and possibly send step by step instructions?

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

Re: Toshiba E Studio 507 scan folders

Hey Will, you can, but they'd all be in Templates.

Just to make sure we're on the same page here, are you talking a scan to folder for more than two locations? Such as, let's say, 10 employees all want their own scan folder - is that what you need?

Edit - The ONLY way I've seen it done is via templates - YouTube

That video helped me to figure it out.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    Hey Will, you can, but they'd all be in Templates.

Just to make sure we're on the same page here, are you talking a scan to folder for more than two locations? Such as, let's say, 10 employees all want their own scan folder - is that what you need?

Edit - The ONLY way I've seen it done is via templates - YouTube

That video helped me to figure it out.

Yes that's what I mean. They want say 10 workstations to have their own scan folder I guess on their desktop. So then when you create these individual templates then they'll see their own scan folder on their desktop that only that individual will have access to? And if they want they can password protect each one if they want too?

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

In a way, yes.

As far as password protection at the machine, I don't think you can do that per user. I've never delved that deep into it. They can have a scan folder on their desktop and password protect that locally (I think). I might be able to mess with it next week if I get a chance.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    In a way, yes.

As far as password protection at the machine, I don't think you can do that per user. I've never delved that deep into it. They can have a scan folder on their desktop and password protect that locally (I think). I might be able to mess with it next week if I get a chance.
    Thanks, that'll be great if you can let me know how that works.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post

Yes that's what I mean. They want say 10 workstations to have their own scan folder I guess on their desktop. So then when you create these individual templates then they'll see their own scan folder on their desktop that only that individual will have access to? And if they want they can password protect each one if they want too?

How did the customer acquire this copier? Did you or your employer sell it to them as a used copier that you got for cheap from somewhere?

The customer's request is on the verge of being invoiced for Professional Services billable at $95.00 per hour to do all of this work. Customers usually have no idea of how much work is required on your side to make what they verbalize in 30 seconds happen.

Do not give away your time if the customer has no other option on where to go. The customer is more than happy to let you do all of the work for free. Or say, I will do three workstations and the customer or their IT support people will have to do the rest. Guess what, IT Support will definitely not do this work for free. If they want you to do the other seven workstations, $95.00 per hour.

For 10 users, if experienced, you are into 2 hours to track down all of these usernames and passwords (assuming all of these people are there that day), create and test each scan template.

What if the passwords expire every 90 days are you going to comeback and do that for free?

What if someone leaves and a new person comes into replace them, are you going to do this work for free?

I recommend you get free TeamViewer installed on each computer so that you can do follow on later work remotely. Still a one hour charge, even if you do not have to travel. The customer benefits by the quick task completion

The e507 series was discontinued in May 2016. Make sure you install the latest Firmware V1281 if you want any tech support. All Toshiba support ends in March 2024.

If you go the route of creating 10 Templates on the copier, back them up in Top Access under the Maintenance tab to a local PC should the copier's HDD die.

The Scan Folder on the desktop is simply a Shortcut to the actual scan folder on each computer's C drive. Each folder has to be properly configured under that folder's Sharing and Security tabs with full control to each user.

If you have a combination of Win 7 and Win 10 computers the procedure will be a bit different for both. If any Apple OSX computers, the procedure will be different again.

If the customer does not want to pay for all these hours of IT services, you can easily and quickly create a simple Scan to FileShare on each desktop which links to the copier's HDD, not each individual users PC. From the run command: //ip address of the copier. No passwords to worry about but everyone can see the contents of the HDD. So the users need to immediately save the scan to their local PC and delete the file. Under the "Save As" tab in Top Access the contents of FileShare can be made to automatically delete every 1-30 days or never.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 09-08-2019 at 01:51 AM.

Technician

As what SalesServiceGuy mentioned, scan to pc folder is very convenient for user, where the scan file will be push to their pc folder, but very hard to maintain if user pc always change password, or once pc is replaced/reformated than u need to re-setup again, windows updates, third party anti-virus/internet security block access and etc...
    In order to do that, user need to share the folder on their pc with write permission, and setup template on the MFP which store the scan folder path and login credential for every users.
    Try to use administrator login instead of user login to setup template...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    How did the customer acquire this copier? Did you or your employer sell it to them as a used copier that you got for cheap from somewhere?

The customer's request is on the verge of being invoiced for Professional Services billable at $95.00 per hour to do all of this work. Customers usually have no idea of how much work is required on your side to make what they verbalize in 30 seconds happen.

Do not give away your time if the customer has no other option on where to go. The customer is more than happy to let you do all of the work for free. Or say, I will do three workstations and the customer or their IT support people will have to do the rest. Guess what, IT Support will definitely not do this work for free. If they want you to do the other seven workstations, $95.00 per hour.

For 10 users, if experienced, you are into 2 hours to track down all of these usernames and passwords (assuming all of these people are there that day), create and test each scan template.

What if the passwords expire every 90 days are you going to comeback and do that for free?

What if someone leaves and a new person comes into replace them, are you going to do this work for free?

I recommend you get free TeamViewer installed on each computer so that you can do follow on later work remotely. Still a one hour charge, even if you do not have to travel. The customer benefits by the quick task completion

The e507 series was discontinued in May 2016. Make sure you install the latest Firmware V1281 if you want any tech support. All Toshiba support ends in March 2024.

If you go the route of creating 10 Templates on the copier, back them up in Top Access under the Maintenance tab to a local PC should the copier's HDD die.

The Scan Folder on the desktop is simply a Shortcut to the actual scan folder on each computer's C drive. Each folder has to be properly configured under that folder's Sharing and Security tabs with full control to each user.

If you have a combination of Win 7 and Win 10 computers the procedure will be a bit different for both. If any Apple OSX computers, the procedure will be different again.

If the customer does not want to pay for all these hours of IT services, you can easily and quickly create a simple Scan to FileShare on each desktop which links to the copier's HDD, not each individual users PC. From the run command: //ip address of the copier. No passwords to worry about but everyone can see the contents of the HDD. So the users need to immediately save the scan to their local PC and delete the file. Under the "Save As" tab in Top Access the contents of FileShare can be made to automatically delete every 1-30 days or never.
    Should be \\ip address