Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MJ-1101 finisher

MJ-1101 finisher

I normally don't work on Toshiba machines but the local church was donated one of these to them and ask me to take a look at it. The problem is the sort tray on the finisher goes straight to the bottom and never raises up to catch the sorted sets therefore sending all the copies shooting out on the ground. I removed the front and rear cover and the found three photo sensors on the rear side. Is it possible that one of these is bad? or is there a micro switch or something I'm missing? Did a search in the forum but nothing listed on this issue.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: MJ-1101 finisher

Search for lower limit sensor it may be damaged push switch but more likely dirty photosensor.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    MJ-1101 finisher

Do you get an error or jam message? What machine is it attached to? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MJ-1101 finisher

BC ----No error message. Machine is a estudio 3530C I can manually move the sort tray to the up position---select sort--- hit the start button and the tray will head south all the way to the bottom without throwing any kind of code. Machine will complete the job with the tray in that position
    I did clean the three photo sensors in the rear while I was out there that tsbservice recommended, I do have a sm for the main unit but not the finisher

Thanks

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    MJ-1101 finisher

I seem to recall that there is a flag assembly that detects the tray height. The flag is black plastic and about 12" long. There are ... oh, lets say (6) fingers that protrude through the left side cover. I think that you'll find that 4 or more of those fingers are broken off flush, not protruding through the cover.

No ... I was thinking of the MJ-1030. I found a good photo of what I was thinking of. You can see the fingers just below the upper elevator tray:

Toshiba_MJ-1030_l.jpg
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    MJ-1101 finisher

Toshiba Tec Japan officially ended all tech support on this model series on March 31 2019.

Do yourself and the Church a big favor. Disconnect the finisher, remove the Bridge kit and focus on keeping the copier working for as long as you can find toner for it.

Anything else is a waste of time and an exercise in frustration.

As you said the Church rec'd the copier as a free donation therefore they need to focus on those parts of the copier that work and forget about what does not work.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MJ-1101 finisher

Agreed on the fact that you should not spend much time on this discontinued product.

Machines of this age can have interrupt sensors go bad for no good reason - Those are cheap and mostly interchangeable from things in the bone yard but I would give it little more than that before just removing the finisher and moving on.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    MJ-1101 finisher

I don't know how many times I have seen this scenario. Someone "donates" their old copier with major issues to a non-profit organization, and the organization has to spend a lot of money to get it working. The person who donated this copier didn't do that church any favors. They were just looking for a place to dump their trash.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    MJ-1101 finisher

Quote Originally Posted by scanmc View Post
    I normally don't work on Toshiba machines but the local church was donated one of these to them and ask me to take a look at it. The problem is the sort tray on the finisher goes straight to the bottom and never raises up to catch the sorted sets therefore sending all the copies shooting out on the ground. I removed the front and rear cover and the found three photo sensors on the rear side. Is it possible that one of these is bad? or is there a micro switch or something I'm missing? Did a search in the forum but nothing listed on this issue.
    Did you check the sensor that is in the middle of the elevator tray?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MJ-1101 finisher

Thanks for all the replies. Yep not my first rodeo on the donated machine issue. Like most of you said I'm just going to remove the finisher and call it a day.