Technician

Question Purpose of the SRAM

My understanding of the SRAM is that its Static, a semiconductor, and Volatile ram or in other words a temporary storage device that if indeed is volatile gets wiped when the printer is turned off. however i don't think this is the case. I Know you have to replace the SRAM when installing a new hdd or system board, but what info whether it be temporary or permanent actually gets written to the SRAM. Thanks.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Purpose of the SRAM

Re: Purpose of the SRAM

I beg to differ on replacing SRAM when changing HDD or System Board. I've replaced SRAM only once ever, but I've changed dozens of HDD's. The symptom was corrupt PM counter values. Somehow one of the consumables had acquired 999,999,999 prints, while the rest of the machine had less than 100K. Each time I checked, more and more of the 08 mode values became 999,999,999.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Purpose of the SRAM

SRAM is a bit of a misnomer when it is really an EEPROM (though on older machines it was a battery backed SRAM).

Toshiba devices use it to store important machine settings such as serial number, encryption keys and licenses, backup of the counter, all 08 codes and for reasons I'll never understand the email From address.

That is why you should only replace the SRAM, HDD or System board one at a time because depending what you replace a backup of settings held in either of those places gets copied onto the replaced component, if you replace two of the items at the same time it loses that information.
    No, I will not send you Manuals, Software or your own little repair Genie to fix all your problems for you.