eStudio 5540 rainbow

I just replaced the black drum, black developer material and rebuilt the transfer belt unit with a new belt and cleaner. The old belt shredded the edges of the belt leaving junk all over the pages. Since then, when making any color copy or print, the machine is doing a rainbow all over the page. The guys I talked to said it could be the transfer belt unit, but I'm not familiar with the Toshiba copiers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    eStudio 5540 rainbow

Re: eStudio 5540 rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by linuxgyro View Post
    I just replaced the black drum, black developer material and rebuilt the transfer belt unit with a new belt and cleaner. The old belt shredded the edges of the belt leaving junk all over the pages. Since then, when making any color copy or print, the machine is doing a rainbow all over the page. The guys I talked to said it could be the transfer belt unit, but I'm not familiar with the Toshiba copiers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    please post PDF example of the problem.

Sorry I forgot to upload it. Here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    eStudio 5540 rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by linuxgyro View Post
    Sorry I forgot to upload it. Here it is
    looks like you have color drum/dev problems... what are the life counts on those items.

312k on the black and 200k on color.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    eStudio 5540 rainbow

I'm going to talk all the way around this problem ... hopefully arriving somewhere.

It probably not a developing issue. The developing units last a minimum 1M prints, and the developer itself is self replenishing ... considered "lifetime" developer. The only time I've changed developer is when the bearings leak, or when you get rocks or obstructions under the doctor blade (making voids).

The drums are supposed to last 300K, and usually they do. When they fail you'll see striction: teardrop shapes where toner sticks to the drum surface. Sure it can be temporarily cleaned off but it will return in the same places soon. Since a drum is an optical device, toner on the surface blocks the light leaving teardrop shaped voids.

It's really unusual to have any kind of primary transfer belt issue They often last the life of the machine. Did you get all of the elusive pieces of belt?

The needle electrode and grid are commonly needed maintenance items. The grid will begin to corrode, at first at the blocks, then further in.

Did you clear the appropriate parts counters in 6S mode? Did you do a color calibration in 05 mode? When you remove the primary charge unit there is a two pin connector to the cleaning LED array. It's very easy to forget to plug it back in, or damage the connector.

So in summary, I think that if this was my issue I would:
    Check the needle electrodes and grids for corrosion.
    Make sure the cleaning LED arrays are plugged in.
    Clear the appropriate parts counters.
    Perform a color calibration.

THEN, see what you've got.
    Try printing this:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician
    eStudio 5540 rainbow

Was it having the rainbow prior to your service work? Sorry I don't understand this.

Assuming it did not have this but this model has issues primarily with charge levers and the original part awful coated grids.

Generally the rain-bowing is caused by the following:
    - Broken charge levers (they will be if they are old)
    - Rust to the coated grid (we use the FC55 stainless grid with the black charge lever FC55)
    - Drums exposed to light, or even if you have removed the EPU cradle to conduct maintenance work yes they can be this sensitive
    - Old drums... If you disable checks in 08 you probably will not have the rainbow effect, it is an unusual anomaly.

Did u reset performance index of items?

Basically for this problem you would most likely need to replace all drums, levers and grids. If it isn't the grids and levers drum surface potential is the issue I think. New drums only answer.

We have seen a few HVT cause this issue but mainly the older series with VO board and HVT on 5520c series.

It won't be a developer issue unless you used different developer, on this model you can use the recommended BP one or DFC28/25/30. I don't believe EBN developer is advised its finer.

I have ordered new drums and cleaners for the machine and once I get them I'll let you all know how it goes