Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    E Studio 3505 not recognising USB HDD

hello everyone

client has two external USB HDDs, one is 2TB and one is 5TB, however the machine doesn't recognise them - is there any trickery i can perform to the drives to make them usable on the machine?

format is exFAT

on the 5TB drive it had two paritions, an EFI partition and another, the machine recognised it and saved PDFs to it, but i couldn't see them when i plugged it into a confuser, so i removed the EFI partition and set up one GPT partition and now the machine doesn't recognise it at all - this drive is a seagate "backup plus portable" (seagate BUP portable SCSI)

any pointers very much appreciated

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: E Studio 3505 not recognising USB HDD

For the last several generations of Toshiba copiers they will only work exclusively with Toshiba proprietary Secure Encrypted Hard drives.

No 3rd party Hard drive of any brand will work in these copiers. There is no work around.

Even if you could get it to work, the copier would just ignore the extra storage capacity and limit itself to 320 GB so there is no point in exploring what you are trying to do.

Any USB finger drive that you insert into the copier will likely not be recognized past 32 GB.

Although copiers have many similarities to computer print servers, they are not computers where you can freely exchange components.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    For the last several generations of Toshiba copiers they will only work exclusively with Toshiba proprietary Secure Encrypted Hard drives.

No 3rd party Hard drive of any brand will work in these copiers. There is no work around.

Even if you could get it to work, the copier would just ignore the extra storage capacity and limit itself to 320 GB so there is no point in exploring what you are trying to do.

Any USB finger drive that you insert into the copier will likely not be recognized past 32 GB.

Although copiers have many similarities to computer print servers, they are not computers where you can freely exchange components.
    thanks for the info, the 2TB HDD is a Toshiba drive and is not recognised at all - and considering what you've said, i wonder why the 5TB Seagate was both recognised and stored scans before i messed with it and why although i could see all the PDFs on the copier, i couldn't see them on a computer

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I understand that your customer is using the portable HDD's to connect to machine USB port for Scan to USB?

The manual says FAT16 and FAT32 formats should be use for USB Storage Devices. Other formats like NTFS/exFAT are not guaranteed to work properly.

Normally when a USB storage device is plugged in the copier's USB port it should display 'Found USB Device' on the Control Panel lower left corner. If you don't see that it won't work.
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated