Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Toshiba e4555c IP address issue

The machine is set up static IP, it keeps loosing it's IP address. Sometimes it will save it when you re-enter and sometime it wont. Bad System board ???
    Their IT guy says it's not on the network side. I'm not a IT guy so I'm not sure.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Toshiba e4555c IP address issue

Sounds like maybe an IP address conflict. If another device on the network takes the same address, it will set the address in the Toshiba to all 0's. When this happens, unplug the network cable from the Toshiba and ping that address to see if you get a reply. If it is getting a conflict, set the IP address of the Toshiba to something outside the range of the DHCP server.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I will try that but there are no other devices on the network.
    Thanks

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

if there are no devices (computers, mobile devices, or printers ) on the network why do they need it to print and why does it matter if the ip address is lost or changed?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    if there are no devices (computers, mobile devices, or printers ) on the network why do they need it to print and why does it matter if the ip address is lost or changed?
    This is a common response but some device on this LAN as small as it maybe shares the same IP address.

Same thing happened to me this week. Two computers in a home office law firmm, customer would swear on a stack of bibles, no new device.

Easiest solution is to assign the copier a different static IP address.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    I should have clarified "no other devices", there are no other printers,scanners,copiers,mfc on the network.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I always set a static IP higher than the one is obtained by DHCP (unless i'm told to use a specific static IP) to prevent conflicts.

May be worth to reset NIC info in 08-9083 - clone the machine first before doing that as you will loose scan to email settings etc
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deputydogg View Post
    I should have clarified "no other devices", there are no other printers,scanners,copiers,mfc on the network.
    It does not need to be a printer. Had a call last week where the wifi extender took the static ip of the copier, set machine ip to zeros. Best way to test is pull the plug out of the copier, run a ping command to the copiers ip address. If you get a response, something else has that specific ip address.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by deputydogg View Post
    The machine is set up static IP, it keeps loosing it's IP address. Sometimes it will save it when you re-enter and sometime it wont. Bad System board ???
    Their IT guy says it's not on the network side. I'm not a IT guy so I'm not sure.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave another device is picking up the IP of the copier, like the guys mentioned on here. It could be a phone, the Nest Ac remote, anything. The best solution is to pick a new IP, make sure it's not taken by pinging it first, asking the IT's to help out by disclosing all connected devices to check if the time and day you are selecting the new IP address that ping doesn't reply back before using it on the copier. There's software that can pick up all the connected devices with their current IP's however if this is a small biz they might not have it, it's a plus if they do as they'll save a some time on both ends. Make sure you have the latest firmware, version 2196 from Dec 2019 as this always helps if after adding the new IP the conflict persists. keep us posted, Good luck!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Angry IP scanner is pretty useful on small networks with no REAL IT people.
    You can generally get a good idea of what the DHCP range is by looking at the IP ranges it finds on the network.
    $0.02