Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    e-Studio 457, not fusing...

Hey folks.. these machines have (relatively) new Fusers, but I'm still having offset issues on some of them. The usual fix is to make sure that ground contact is making good ground with the frame, which I have done each machine. I've changed thermistors several times to address this problem, which never helps. Yes, using OEM rollers and OEM toner, just to pre-address that.

Any help appreciated!
    OC

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: e-Studio 457, not fusing...

Quote Originally Posted by Oystercopy View Post
    Hey folks.. these machines have (relatively) new Fusers, but I'm still having offset issues on some of them. The usual fix is to make sure that ground contact is making good ground with the frame, which I have done each machine. I've changed thermistors several times to address this problem, which never helps. Yes, using OEM rollers and OEM toner, just to pre-address that.

Any help appreciated!
    OC

important info missing:

what are they printing? coverage etc

what media are they printing on? plain - glossy - thick

how many pages have been printed on that fuser?

have you watched in SM to make sure fuser is reaching proper temp?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    important info missing:

what are they printing? coverage etc

what media are they printing on? plain - glossy - thick

how many pages have been printed on that fuser?

have you watched in SM to make sure fuser is reaching proper temp?
    I'd say that is critical information for diagnosing this type of problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I'd say that is critical information for diagnosing this type of problem.
    damn.. it's the BASICS IMHO!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

OC I can't help since not working on Toshys anymore but I remember from their predecessors like eS350/352 I have a few ones which do offset and adjustment on fuser temperature if I recall correctly helped. Just a thought.

PS.
    Please guys keep calm, OC knows more for Toshibas than I ever knew
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

I would have specified if the customer was running thick stock; this is the only line item that would make any difference here. I also specified that the rollers were new (some with less than 10K) and this problem had been rampant on the e-456 series as well, so not a new problem. Hoping for a more helpful solution. F/W is up to date (or very close) on all these boxes.
    OC

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Three things that I would check:

1) There are two attachment hooks for the fuser pressure springs ... is it on the tighter setting?
    2) I've had bad lamps before. The machine cannot detect an open lamp. Or, I've had lamps that had "hot" spots, blistering the teflon in a ring all the way around the roller.
    3) I've had intermittent thermostats that open up under load, but usually present with fuser codes, so they're pretty easy to diagnose.

You can try increasing the fuser temperature, but I'd increase the pressure and replace lamps and thermostats first, and I think I'd try setting my plain paper for Thick1 media type first to see if it helps.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Three things that I would check:

1) There are two attachment hooks for the fuser pressure springs ... is it on the tighter setting?
    2) I've had bad lamps before. The machine cannot detect an open lamp. Or, I've had lamps that had "hot" spots, blistering the teflon in a ring all the way around the roller.
    3) I've had intermittent thermostats that open up under load, but usually present with fuser codes, so they're pretty easy to diagnose.

You can try increasing the fuser temperature, but I'd increase the pressure and replace lamps and thermostats first, and I think I'd try using Thick1 media type first to see if it helps.
    =^..^=
    Oooh springs I forgot about them. I would try another fuser and if it works well will concentrate on items BC mentioned.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Thanks Black Cat and TSB for the honest and helpful responses.

Yes, I usually put the fuser tension spring on the tightest setting; usually higher than the OEM setting they come on.

I've heard about thermostats and replacing defective lamps, but I've also (hadn't mentioned this) replaced the lamps to solve this problem, and have not had it work for me, and I tried it
    several times. And those lamps are NOT CHEAP, so not sure if that's the issue. But you would think the machine's internal diagnostics would detect low fuser temp and throw codes, but that's
    not usually the case. It just runs too cool, so I guess my first option will be to up the fuser temp to see what it does. That's not usually my "go to" solution, as I don't like taking the machine out of spec
    to solve problems... that usually only causes issues down the road, in some way or fashion. Plus, these Toshibas are so weak in the fuser that I would hardly want to add more stress to that teflon roller surface,
    they don't last long enough as it is.

I am SO GLAD I'm moving on from Toshiba and relying on the Konica Minolta brand these days.. MUCH better box and none of these weird, waste-your-time-and-money issues...LOL
    OC

We had similar offset problems with non OEM toner, that we had one tech tweak the fuser temperature just a bit higher
    that took care of it. One thing I HATE is NON OEM toner, but, I don't own the company, so I don't get to make that
    decision. As others have mentioned, the lamps can get hot spots and I have seen some put the wrong connectors
    back on the lamps from time to time. But, that usually causes the machine to stop during a longer print job and
    say "please wait" until it warms back up.