Cannot update fimrware for Toshiba E stuido 2050C

SO many thanks to copytech where a kind user provided mme with firmware. SO basically i bought this printer with a dead hdd, which does not function at all, so i have now purchased a hdd similar 80gb , and installed in the board, now according to service manual i need to power up the printer using 3+c and follow furthur steps, however evertime i power up the printer using 3+c or 4+c i just get an error message saying Authentication failed. there is nothing else i can do or repeat any previous steps as the previous hdd is dead and i cannot follow the pre hdd removal procedures. looking for a life saver please

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Cannot update fimrware for Toshiba E stuido 2050C

Quote Originally Posted by inqalaab786 View Post
    SO many thanks to copytech where a kind user provided mme with firmware. SO basically i bought this printer with a dead hdd, which does not function at all, so i have now purchased a hdd similar 80gb , and installed in the board, now according to service manual i need to power up the printer using 3+c and follow furthur steps, however evertime i power up the printer using 3+c or 4+c i just get an error message saying Authentication failed. there is nothing else i can do or repeat any previous steps as the previous hdd is dead and i cannot follow the pre hdd removal procedures. looking for a life saver please
    sounds like the HDD isn't the same type/capacity .

is it a clean drive?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Did your old drive say "Wipe Drive"? If yes, it's not just a SATA drive. You need the Toshiba drive. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Did your old drive say "Wipe Drive"? If yes, it's not just a SATA drive. You need the Toshiba drive. =^..^=

HI i have now attached an ADI 80GB unpartitioned however now when i press 3+c and power on it beeps, but goes straight to error f101 the same hdd error as before, now it does not show authentication failed same with c+4 and does not let me enter service or setting mode if i do 0+8
    very confuded

It sounds like you may have a good original HDD, but a failed System Board. If it were me I'd replace the system board and install the original HDD (hopefully you haven't formatted that original HDD). This situation is recoverable.

If you have a bad system board and you successfully formatted the HDD, this may be unrecoverable. The idea is that you have to have redundant data in two of the three possible locations. If it's lost on the system board, and you formatted the drive, I think you're screwed.

I'll be watching the answers. This is not an area I've had to address very often. I've had this situation on two other color Toshibas, and in both cases I was able to replace the system board with the original drive. =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    It sounds like you may have a good original HDD, but a failed System Board. If it were me I'd replace the system board and install the original HDD (hopefully you haven't formatted that original HDD). This situation is recoverable.

If you have a bad system board and you successfully formatted the HDD, this may be unrecoverable. The idea is that you have to have redundant data in two of the three possible locations. If it's lost on the system board, and you formatted the drive, I think you're screwed.

I'll be watching the answers. This is not an area I've had to address very often. I've had this situation on two other color Toshibas, and in both cases I was able to replace the system board with the original drive. =^..^=
    HI the other hdd was definitley dead thats all i know for sure, now when i have put an adi, completley unpartitoned, and power pressong c+3 it just goes to call for service f1101 same with c+4 and will not let me enter any serttings mode. only thing i noticed when i press 4+9 while powering on it goes to update firmware mode however says authentication failed

Regardless if the HDD is good or not, the machine should go to 3C mode, and not fail until you try to format it. To me, it points to the system board. How did you decide that the HDD is bad? =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

HI i have now attached an ADI 80GB unpartitioned however now when i press 3+c and power on it beeps, but goes straight to error f101 the same hdd error as before, now it does not show authentication failed same with c+4 and does not let me enter service or setting mode if i do 0+8
    very confuded
    being an end user this is above your paygrade

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Since that is a 2050, I don't remember if that one was like some that had a bulletin about the SATA cable being a bit too long, that would
    put pressure on the cable connector and it wouldn't connect to the HDD properly. They had a bulletin that gave a shorter cable.
    I don't have any 2050's left...we traded them all out. It was either the 2050 or the 4555 series that had that bug. The quick fix was until
    you had a new shorter cable, to bend the cable back the other way (it was sort of an S shape bend)
    Other than that, it sounds like the system board is jacked. Or possibly someone previously tried to swap/replace the system board & HDD
    at the same time, which would have FUBAR'd the machine until you recover it.