Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

E-studio 347CS vs Okidata MPS3537mc

Our customer has the oki mps3537, C,Y,M drums are near end of life. None of our vendors have them or an eta . I tried a yellow Toshiba drum but it would not reset the drum message. I know most oki's have a quick blow fuse that resets the drums/fuser/belt but I didn't want to take the drum apart to find it. I don't see any physical difference in the two drums and no visible chip. Anyone know the difference ?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: E-studio 347CS vs Okidata MPS3537mc

Quote Originally Posted by deputydogg View Post
    Our customer has the oki mps3537, C,Y,M drums are near end of life. None of our vendors have them or an eta . I tried a yellow Toshiba drum but it would not reset the drum message. I know most oki's have a quick blow fuse that resets the drums/fuser/belt but I didn't want to take the drum apart to find it. I don't see any physical difference in the two drums and no visible chip. Anyone know the difference ?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Perhaps the unit has a tab that prevents it from seating all the way down...I am fairly certain there is no chip or fuse in the drum itself, just the chip on the toner unit inside its plastic sleeve. the drum uses a small rotating disk on one side of the drum that interrupts a reflector beam. I would have to assume that it knows there is a new 'drum' based on the starter toner cart's chip but I do know that if the drum is not turning then it will fail to reset. seen this many times in the past but not lately...the rotating disk doesn't rotate because its malformed or just not setting on the drive shaft correctly.

EDIT...nope, i think it has a micro fuse link judging by the pictures I found here:
    Easy Drum, Belt & Fuser Reset Kit for OKI MPS3537 MPS4242 MC MCF MCFX – SUPER EASY DRUM RESET

The fuser and ITB are well known to me - I generally don't try and reset the drum/dev units but the ITB's are easy to clean out the waste box and reset without any issues..fusers go belly up well before they reach yield so...

Either pop open that side but be warned it will be full of toner as I think that's also the side for the toner recycle link belt...or just jumper in a fuse on the interface board those gold contacts go to... I use 1/16 amp resistor fuses for just about all of this type of doo-dad.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: E-studio 347CS vs Okidata MPS3537mc

Quote Originally Posted by deputydogg View Post
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Your customer is pretty much screwed on the Oki product. Okidata abandoned the Americas market for print devices a few years ago. The Toshiba consumables are chipped and will not work in the Okidata product. You can replace the Quick Blow fuse in the Transfer belt unit and that might work.

It is time for this customer to move on. I would recommend the excellent Toshiba manufactured e330AC if you can get one. They sell fast and inventory is difficult to find.