Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Using D-FC65 developer in e5506AC machine

Has anyone tried using developer from an e5540/5560c series machine in an e5506AC series? I have a 7506AC that will be replaced in 2 months and the Y dev is depleted despite only having 250k on it. The price of dev is so high and I have several D-FC65-Y bottles kicking around that I won't use. I've confirmed that the hopper assembly you remove to put the dev bottle in is the same part number from e5520c up to e5516AC, so I know the bottle will fit and most likely feed the dev. It wouldn't surprise me if the material is identical or near enough for it to work. But I'm curious if someone has already done this with any success?
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Using D-FC65 developer in e5506AC machine

Quote Originally Posted by arnh79 View Post
    Has anyone tried using developer from an e5540/5560c series machine in an e5506AC series? I have a 7506AC that will be replaced in 2 months and the Y dev is depleted despite only having 250k on it. The price of dev is so high and I have several D-FC65-Y bottles kicking around that I won't use. I've confirmed that the hopper assembly you remove to put the dev bottle in is the same part number from e5520c up to e5516AC, so I know the bottle will fit and most likely feed the dev. It wouldn't surprise me if the material is identical or near enough for it to work. But I'm curious if someone has already done this with any success?
    sounds like you are confusing developer with toner...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Nah Phil he is definitely asking about developer. I don't know the answer but it sounds like good experiment to me. I won't be surprised if the powder is same.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I don't think so, but I'm willing to be corrected. D-FC65-Y is the part name for developer in the e5540c series. On that series you remove a hopper assembly that resides between the toner cartridges and the dev unit, plug in the dev bottle and run the code that will feed fresh developer into the developer unit. I have determined that the hopper assembly is identical on both models, so I'm assuming if the hopper is the same then the developer bottle will fit in that spot and feed into the dev unit. But it's the developer material that I'm not so sure of. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same stuff, just given a new part # so we buy it and not use old stock.
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

That's what I thought to until I realized what model Toshiba he was working on, these older ones have actual dv boxes that attach the frame of the machine.

I have only ever added dv material directly to the dv units themselves, and it works well with very few issues. Never actually tried from setup though. You can use pretty much any of the 2555-5055 to the 5560 type unit dv across both series. The light blue Toshibas as we refer to them...

You could also look at the MSDS sheets which would list the chemical composition and weighted amount of material for both developers

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I'd say that your odds are good. I'd go for it. I don't think that it has an EEPROM that might detect a mismatch.

@Phil: This machine is kinda unique. When you do a developer change on one of these you pour/vacuum out the developing unit and install it empty. You insert the imaging drawer and remove the toner hopper assembly. In place of the hopper you install a developer cartridge (in this case yellow) that mates in the place the hopper was. You can install CMY or K developer cartridges at the same time. When you run the developer stir, it runs the toner motor to feed the developer out of the cartridge, into the developing unit, then stir.

It's the only machine I know like this. These machines are all built on the same basic frame: eS5520C series, eS5540C series, eS5560 series, eS5506ACT series, eS5516ACT series, eS5508A series (black only), and eS5518A series (black only).

And this developer could be lifetime developer. There is no prescribed yield, and it's spiked from developer in the toner. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Been wondering similar things - not had time to dig up the MSDS and other info available to see what developer is the same for what models.
    Generally speaking it makes sense that the developer material is the same pretty much all the way around for certain model blocks and the only real difference is the quantity of developer.

Toshiba developer is stupid overpriced and I have had several developers in various models deplete for this or that reason and wonder if I could replenish the developer material from a gently used boneyard machine...

Need to find time to do this little science project....or someone does...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

With that pricey developers i wonder why nobody tried...I certainly would if have machines.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arnh79 View Post

Yep, do it all the time. That way I don't have a bunch of old stock on the shelf.
    I've also used 4555 developer in the 4015 series machines and vice versa.
    Just as long as you calibrate the developer. The only variation is I check the quantity in the bottle
    If the "normal" developer is less than what I'm going to use, I'll remove about a capfull or two.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I'd say that your odds are good. I'd go for it. I don't think that it has an EEPROM that might detect a mismatch.

@Phil: This machine is kinda unique. When you do a developer change on one of these you pour/vacuum out the developing unit and install it empty. You insert the imaging drawer and remove the toner hopper assembly. In place of the hopper you install a developer cartridge (in this case yellow) that mates in the place the hopper was. You can install CMY or K developer cartridges at the same time. When you run the developer stir, it runs the toner motor to feed the developer out of the cartridge, into the developing unit, then stir.

It's the only machine I know like this. These machines are all built on the same basic frame: eS5520C series, eS5540C series, eS5560 series, eS5506ACT series, eS5516ACT series, eS5508A series (black only), and eS5518A series (black only).

And this developer could be lifetime developer. There is no prescribed yield, and it's spiked from developer in the toner. =^..^=
    My guys are "part farming" this morning and just happened to be farming these units, so I snapped a few pics.
    FRONT VIEW.jpg DV HARVEST.jpg

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!