Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    eS5540CT System Board

eS5540CT System Board

Don't you hate it when you know the manual is wrong, and you follow it anyway?

So the manual says to install system board > load firmware > restore ADI Key ... in that order. I knew it was the wrong order, but I thought maybe this one is different? The machine cannot communicate with the HDD until the ADI key is restored, so why would you try to load the firmware before they can communicate?

The firmware loaded 4 of 6 files, then just sat there and did not try to load Engine or PFC. When I attempted to run 08-9030 it went into F109_5 (ADI key mismatch).

I restored the ADI keys, and attempted 08-9030 again and got F600 (engine firmware did not load, which it didn't). I attempted firmware again and still got the same 4 of 6 files, no engine or PFC.

In situations like this I load one file, shut down, load 2nd file, shut down, etc ... until all files have loaded. Then 08-9030. Then color calibration. I don't know how accurate it is, but my theory is that the firmware files becomes larger and larger with each update, until the on-board memory cannot hold all the files at the same time.

Regardless, it bugs me that I knew it was wrong ... and followed the manual anyway. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    eS5540CT System Board

Re: eS5540CT System Board

... time for sales to upgrade this copier into a sizzlingly, hot Toshiba eStudio 5516AC!

Introduced in 2011, replaced in 2016 by the e5506AC, Toshiba will discontinue all support in 2023.

Start escalating all service support costs right away.

Maybe not SMB2 file transfer capable.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    eS5540CT System Board

... it would not be so bad if you start hinting to the customer that you may not be able to repair this copier much longer or even unable to complete the current service issue.

You are doing yourself and the customer a favor.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    eS5540CT System Board

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

So the manual says to install system board > load firmware > restore ADI Key ... in that order. I knew it was the wrong order, but I thought maybe this one is different? The machine cannot communicate with the HDD until the ADI key is restored, so why would you try to load the firmware before they can communicate?

The firmware loaded 4 of 6 files, then just sat there and did not try to load Engine or PFC. When I attempted to run 08-9030 it went into F109_5 (ADI key mismatch).

I restored the ADI keys, and attempted 08-9030 again and got F600 (engine firmware did not load, which it didn't). I attempted firmware again and still got the same 4 of 6 files, no engine or PFC.

In situations like this I load one file, shut down, load 2nd file, shut down, etc ... until all files have loaded. Then 08-9030. Then color calibration. I don't know how accurate it is, but my theory is that the firmware files becomes larger and larger with each update, until the on-board memory cannot hold all the files at the same time.

Regardless, it bugs me that I knew it was wrong ... and followed the manual anyway. =^..^=
    I remember a similar situation when it came to copying the main counter from LGC to SYS (or the other way around) on some of the early eBridge machines. In the manual they had it backwards so I ended up zeroing a few meters instead of transferring the actual count when putting in a new board.
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    eS5540CT System Board

Cut the blue wire....before you cut the blue wire, remove the fuse from the clockwork assembly.
    (which way are you going to run, I'm running this way).

Sometimes, when I'd go to school when the Dallas support center was still there, we'd get gen 1 manuals
    It was funny sometimes trying to decode as I liked to call it Japlish. One time it said to power the developer
    into the developer unit. Darn if there wasn't an on off switch on the bottle/bag of developer. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post