Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

8518a "Adjusting. Wait until printing resumed"

Hi all, returning to Toshiba after a few years of Ricoh. We have a school contract, and I've been given the territory.

I have one machine, that's been a nightmare. I am hopefully converting the company from a run to fail to run to PM cycle, but in the meantime, I was called out for copy quality. they were getting banding on printed pages, and the developer had been striping due to too much toner being pulled from the unit. So I replaced Drum, EPU kit, and developer. I reset all the counts in PM support mode, I also reset the fuser counter thinking I missed that when we recently had an outbreak of C471 codes when schools reopened.

Now the machine has been printing anywhere from 30 to 100 prints, and then begins cycling. on the control panel it reports "Adjusting, Wait until printing resumed". The cycling continues for 5 to 7 minutes it will print a few more pages and then begins the whole process over again. I heard rumors that previous models such as the 3040's had a similar issue, but was told that was due to a dirty thermopile, that I don't believe exists on this model. After hearing this, when I returned I replaced the fuser belt kit, and again reset the fuser count. I thought I had the problem cleared as it began running, and kept working for about 3-500 prints, and when I went to show the customer it began repeating the error again.

I'm returning in the morning to try and resolve the issue, any advice would be appreciated. The machine has the latest firmware (1600),

Thanks in advance for any advice offered,

Logged-on

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    8518a  "Adjusting. Wait until printing resumed"

Re: 8518a "Adjusting. Wait until printing resumed"

Well at least you have the 1600 firmware, which HOPEFULLY will help with the C471 issues. That, has been a NIGHTMARE.
    We don't have the issues with the 55,65CPM machines. We told Toshiba over 18 months ago the operating temperature
    of the 85CPM machines was too close to the blow point of the fuse, but, we're techs, what do we know.
    We all laughed when the 1600 was released because they said that the temperature was too close to the blow point of the
    fuse (we had already dropped 3-4 temperature settings about 6 months ago, which CUT our 471 issues by a lot!)

When you replaced and reset everything, after the developer calibration, did you also do the IQC? 05-2742
    Then there are two other ICQ settings for 600/1200 DPI.
    I find it easier, than looking up the codes, to just go back and set 08-9022 to 3, power cycle and it pops into
    "easy setup" to the point it is ready to do all of the gamma ajustments.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

This sounds like a developer density issue to me, not a fusing issue. What service modes did you run at the PM? Knockoff toner? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

C471 errorS on Estudio 7506AC/ 8508A & 7516AC / 8518A Series

•eStudio7506AC/6506AC: C471/C472 Errors after fuser rebuilt following TTEC’s recommendations

•TABS service is still getting multiple reports from the field of C471/C472 errors.

Comments:
    •A new claim was opened for this ongoing issue with C471/472 errors occurring.
    •TTEC requested to set the 08 codes listed in (TSB-2016) on the problem eS7506AC machine. In the case of future reports from the field; TABS is requesting to provide a service history showing all parts replaced, CSV files and a Debug log. Send the failed rebuilt fuser unit to TABS and provide the following information.
    •Copy Counts when the rebuild was performed and when the fuser failed.
    •Was fuser rebuilt with individual parts or new holder unit?
    •Were all bulletins followed properly?
    •Note:
    •A faulty SW7 ( ADU Set Switch ) can intermittently give C471 the switch can test ok, but it can intermittently loose contact internally and fail thus causing a C471 error

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    C471 errorS on Estudio 7506AC/ 8508A & 7516AC / 8518A Series

•A faulty SW7 ( ADU Set Switch ) can intermittently give C471 the switch can test ok, but it can intermittently loose contact internally and fail thus causing a C471 error

I sent a slack message to my techs Monday when I saw the eastern regiional conference calls posted on FYI about that door switch.
    I've told them if they get more than one 471 after the codes are changed, with a rebuilt fuser, to change that door switch since it is
    easy to get to. Plus, I want the old switch back so I can cut it apart to look at it.
    My guess is that as you know, customers will just push on the front edge of the ADU to close the door, and I'll guess that the back side
    isn't latching all the way, causing the switch to arc.

I'm thinking to try printing some heavy media to see if there is a difference between with the adjusting?

Check if the toner hooper assy is mounted correctly in those clips and the blue plastic arm inserted into the developer discharge port - the one wrapped with the ATS harness. Any other errors in error history?
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for the replies,

I spoke with Toshiba Tech support, they said they have a very small case file on this issue, but said there were 2 similar sounding issues. They told me the first was solved by running adjustment mode, 05-2734, which I'm not sure I understand because when it did it returned a number, 88, but no way to adjust it, the same with 05-2737, which returned the number 32, 05-2740, which appears to not even exist, and then 2742. Those did not correct the issue.

The next thing they told me was that there was a chance the Hdd had been corrupted, and to try to format the hard drive, and then reload the firmware, which is where I am now, I formatted the hard drive, reloaded the firmware, they warned me that it is possible that if I created a clone file it was possible the corruption could be copied onto the clone file and reloading it might return the issue. So after reloading the firmware with the help of their IT, we restored the settings manually. I left the call open for parts like the transfer roller, and tbu kit to give me the opportunity to return and check on the machines performance. After formatting the hdd, I waited for print jobs to enter the queue, but only 2 jobs arrived, one was 160 pages duplexed, and the second one was just like 20 pages. It performed those jobs without going into the "adjustment" message. So 3 hours later, I left telling them I would return with parts.

Tech support also mentioned the possibility of an IH board, but I am having a problem buying that one because it wasn't an issue before replacing the parts I previously replaced. They also mentioned a performance index, and a details threshold, but I had other calls I needed to get to, and decided any further time spent there today would be frivolous.

They also mentioned TSB 1902, and 1903

I will return sometime tomorrow to see if there was any improvement.

Thanks again for the replies

Logged-on

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for posting back. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by Logged-on View Post
    Thanks for the replies,

Tech support also mentioned the possibility of an IH board, but I am having a problem buying that one because it wasn't an issue before replacing the parts I previously replaced. They also mentioned a performance index, and a details threshold, but I had other calls I needed to get to, and decided any further time spent there today would be frivolous.

They also mentioned TSB 1902, and 1903

I will return sometime tomorrow to see if there was any improvement.

Thanks again for the replies

Logged-on

I think TABS default position is to point to the fuser/IH board, TSB's that have to do with the fuser.

It's a shame too. The fuser in the old 5520's were an issue, but when the 5540's & 5560's came along, those fusers
    would sometimes go a million copies before failure. So....LOL let's change the fuser when the 5508A series came along.
    I remember when I went to one of the first EBN schools in Chicago. They had the 08A at some trade show and rolled
    it in so we could see it. We were worried because when they said they were going to replace the 555/556/557 series
    with a new b&w, we thought we'd have to figure out the bugs until they got them all solved with a completely brand new
    model.
    They rolled it in, and I think I jinked it for everyone. I said wow! They took a 5560, took the color out and made it a b&w
    machine (here's the kicker) WE WON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS MACHINE.
    I just had to tempt "murphy". And, on the 08 & 18 series he's been kicking our butts ever since.
    We are just starting to get a handle on the C471's by using the Shin-Etsu oil, doubling the amount, lowering the temperatures.
    Also by keeping the power saver/super saver engaged along with auto power off after 240 minutes. We have a ton of these
    in schools and before, if the schools were out for an extended vacation, covid or what not, we'd get a bunch of ripped up belts
    on the first day back because all of the oil evaporated out.

Back on topic (sorry for the rant...C471's just tick me off to no end) I didn't see, but have you done the HDD file/partition check
    to see if something is whacky doodle?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Glad you mentioned that, because, running off my rusty memory, I did a low format on the hard drive, and I thought, I think I need to format the partitions before installing the firmware. So I selected format partitions, and just about everything but the bottom 3 said error. admittedly need more experience with hard drives, but after I got that, I reinstalled the firmware and dealt with the IT on setting the machine back to proper settings. Wasn't able to make it there today, but I did just message my parts support and asked them to order me a hdd.