Senior Tech 100+ Posts

e-studio 2508a toner recycle auger drive

I have a 2508 i installed a month ago and its spitting toner from the recycle auger in the drum unit I replaced the drive gear assy it worked for a little while then did it again I feel the drive gear is not staying coupled to the auger gear each have 2 prongs that are not broken it looks like a bad idea is there a mod for this problem or what am i missing thanks in advance bruce

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: e-studio 2508a toner recycle auger drive

This sounds a bit like what I experienced on an e Studio 256 (it's a close relative). Here's the story:

Every 8 months this machine would present with drum cleaning streaks, pattern repeats at 95mm intervals. The drum cleaning unit backs up because the drive coupler is poorly engaged. Vacuum out drum cleaning unit. Replace drum (6LH58311000) and blade (6LA27845000). Shim drum cleaning unit coupler, cleaning unit side. Re-form drive coupler frame in rear frame to align with cleaning auger coupler. Turn gears manually to insure proper engagement.

Open the right door. Shine your flashlight in the gap between the drum frame and the rear frame. You can get a glimpse of the cleaning unit drive coupler. So then rotate the drum drive motor manually. You'll see the drum cleaning coupler rotating and engaging (or not engaging).

Another thing that you can watch for:
    If a screw that secures the drum blade strips out, the drum will not clean in that area well. You can replace the drum cleaning frame or inset a T-nut from behind, and use a machine screw at that location. Either way works.

Is there an image quality aspect to this issue? Or a noise? Actually, I can imagine a customer calling in: "There's a little pile of toner in the front of the paper tray ... it doesn't seem to affect anything. I was just worried that the machine might blow up."
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    This sounds a bit like what I experienced on an e Studio 256 (it's a close relative). Here's the story:

Every 8 months this machine would present with drum cleaning streaks, pattern repeats at 95mm intervals. The drum cleaning unit backs up because the drive coupler is poorly engaged. Vacuum out drum cleaning unit. Replace drum (6LH58311000) and blade (6LA27845000). Shim drum cleaning unit coupler, cleaning unit side. Re-form drive coupler frame in rear frame to align with cleaning auger coupler. Turn gears manually to insure proper engagement.

Open the right door. Shine your flashlight in the gap between the drum frame and the rear frame. You can get a glimpse of the cleaning unit drive coupler. So then rotate the drum drive motor manually. You'll see the drum cleaning coupler rotating and engaging (or not engaging).

Another thing that you can watch for:
    If a screw that secures the drum blade strips out, the drum will not clean in that area well. You can replace the drum cleaning frame or inset a T-nut from behind, and use a machine screw at that location. Either way works.

Is there an image quality aspect to this issue? Or a noise? Actually, I can imagine a customer calling in: "There's a little pile of toner in the front of the paper tray ... it doesn't seem to affect anything. I was just worried that the machine might blow up."
    =^..^=
    ok I tried checking the alignment it would engage sometimes and not others so not reliable i dont know if your going to like this but i took a drive gear from the back of a parts machine and heated a piece of paper clip and melted it across the 2 prongs on the gear then i secured it with jb weld making a bridge so the auger prongs get in between the wire bridge and and engage that way ill let you know if that works it seems to engage well on my parts machine im very old school and fix alot of problems unconventionally

If it works, that's fine with me.

If you take a look at the drum drive frame, the metal is quite malleable. You may find that it has been deformed. =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    If you take a look at the drum drive frame, the metal is quite malleable. You may find that it has been deformed. =^..^=
    well my bright idea did not work but when i did what you said and put a washer behind the gear on the cleaning unit it seemed to engage and after a few prints the toner spilling stopped so thanks for that but im still keeping my fingers crossed

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I had a 3515a with same issue, turns out the frame was bent and the image unit was not seating far enough into the machine to engage the coupling.
    The customer complaint was about the dirty image once the waste built up enough. But when I looked at the jam history, many jams in that location also.