Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    8518A C471 error

Re: 8518A C471 error

I think part of it, is that they don't want to "admit" failure.
    It's part of the Japanese mindset I believe. To admit failure, is to bring shame onto them.
    Most likely, what they will do, is refresh the line in a year, and the fuser will be completely different, but NOT backwards compatible...
    Gee...to fix the problem, you have to update to a new machine.

Yeah, I can't wait for the web meeting. I'll just have to make sure the mic on my laptop can't be turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty.Harris View Post
    It's part of the Japanese mindset I believe. To admit failure, is to bring shame onto them.
    Most likely, what they will do, is refresh the line in a year, and the fuser will be completely different, but NOT backwards compatible...

Yeah, I can't wait for the web meeting. I'll just have to make sure the mic on my laptop can't be turned on.
    You are probably onto something. Speaking of different mindset, do you think the Toshiba copiers in Japan still come with blue screws? Blew my mind when I first started and was told what they were for, I thought to myself that would never happen here.
    “First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    8518A C471 error

... I expect a complete line refresh around April 2022. Very similar product, I suspect Toshiba will transition from HDD to SSD.

No idea about any fuser plans.

8518A C471 error

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... I expect a complete line refresh around April 2022. Very similar product, I suspect Toshiba will transition from HDD to SSD.

No idea about any fuser plans.

Hope they do with the SSD's! Everyone else is doing it. Time to ditch the mechanical ones, not to mention the speed boost.
    I would just swap out the old one's for SSD's, if it wasn't for the fact they don't have ADI and no one knows the "secret" code
    to turn it off. I remember when they started with this. They said if it had a non wipe, you could upgrade it to a wipe, but once
    you did, you couldn't go back. Has to be some sort of secret code to turn it off somewhere.

Cool Re: 8518A C471 error

Hope they do with the SSD's! Everyone else is doing it. Time to ditch the mechanical ones, not to mention the speed boost.
    I would just swap out the old one's for SSD's, if it wasn't for the fact they don't have ADI and no one knows the "secret" code
    to turn it off. I remember when they started with this. They said if it had a non wipe, you could upgrade it to a wipe, but once
    you did, you couldn't go back. Has to be some sort of secret code to turn it off somewhere.
    That or they are just hoping no one calls their bluff.
    They just use corporate scare tactics to keep us Gaijin in line.
    “First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

8518A C471 error

Toshiba maintenence zoom meeting

Did anyone else watch this? I guess for those that are new to the 8508/18 series that might pick up some good tips,
    but I guess I was over confident they would have some tips that would make the fusers last AT LEAST 1/2 of the rated
    life.
    Oh well, guess we'll have to wait for a NEW MODEL with a different fuser that will work, and, of course won't be backwards
    compatible with the older model, to dangle the carrot in front of customers to buy a new machine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    8518A C471 error

Re: Toshiba maintenence zoom meeting

Did anyone else watch this? I guess for those that are new to the 8508/18 series that might pick up some good tips,
    but I guess I was over confident they would have some tips that would make the fusers last AT LEAST 1/2 of the rated
    life.
    Oh well, guess we'll have to wait for a NEW MODEL with a different fuser that will work, and, of course won't be backwards
    compatible with the older model, to dangle the carrot in front of customers to buy a new machine.

Yeah it was pretty much what I thought it would be..."your doing it wrong...etc"
    When they mentioned having something about a new tech working on the fuser...I wanted to yell "NO!"

I almost felt like giving my $0.02 but decided otherwise.
    I'll put it here.

A) Bring someone along, you need 4 hands and take your time triple checking.
    B) Make a jig to hold the belt unit. The packing foam from the holder unit's packaging works well, I just cut out a channel for the wires to lay.
    C) If there is ANYTHING funny looking about the belt holder then replaced it - it's expensive and a POS all at the same time.
    D) Use twice the amount of oil; if the shit leaks out the end, that's what the felt crap is for. Use the correct oil or correct type of oil - It's a very specific oil type.
    E) Firmware / 08 settings Must be up to date.

F) Just don't do it at all and use the Hytec ones, they are cheaper (my personal jury is still out on these. I have used one so far and it seems fine. My concern would be that in shipping the oil would pool to one side or leak out as there is no 'This Side Up stickers' or 'Fragile' stickers and neither FudEx nor OOP's gives a shit one way or another anyway)

8518A C471 error

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent128 View Post
    Yeah it was pretty much what I thought it would be..."your doing it wrong...etc"
    When they mentioned having something about a new tech working on the fuser...I wanted to yell "NO!"

I almost felt like giving my $0.02 but decided otherwise.
    I'll put it here.

A) Bring someone along, you need 4 hands and take your time triple checking.
    B) Make a jig to hold the belt unit. The packing foam from the holder unit's packaging works well, I just cut out a channel for the wires to lay.
    C) If there is ANYTHING funny looking about the belt holder then replaced it - it's expensive and a POS all at the same time.
    D) Use twice the amount of oil; if the shit leaks out the end, that's what the felt crap is for. Use the correct oil or correct type of oil - It's a very specific oil type.
    E) Firmware / 08 settings Must be up to date.

F) Just don't do it at all and use the Hytec ones, they are cheaper (my personal jury is still out on these. I have used one so far and it seems fine. My concern would be that in shipping the oil would pool to one side or leak out as there is no 'This Side Up stickers' or 'Fragile' stickers and neither FudEx nor OOP's gives a shit one way or another anyway)

My favorite was to make a tube of paper, put it over the wires before putting on the fuser belt. Ummm and what will the paper do to the oil on the belt
    as you rotate it onto the holder?

I was like you. I kept my mouth shut! One thing they didn't mention, that I started doing, other than a lot of the things you said, was to check
    the separation plate gap. 6.11.1 Adjustment of the separation plate gap
    I started noticing toner "chunks" on the separation plate TEFLON (funny, sticking to a non stick substance). If it got thick enough, it would start
    to work like a lathe and rip the belt. Every rebuild, I started checking the gap. Most of the time it would be too wide of a gap, but sometimes it
    isn't wide enough. After making sure the adjustment is in spec, I'm seeing a lot less ripped up belts because ot the toner buildup on the sep plate.

I think on your list, (G) Will be, wait til the new model, we'll make the fuser where you can't repair it, you'll have to replace it as an assembly.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    8518A C471 error

... One thing they didn't mention, that I started doing, other than a lot of the things you said, was to check
    the separation plate gap. 6.11.1 Adjustment of the separation plate gap
    I started noticing toner "chunks" on the separation plate TEFLON (funny, sticking to a non stick substance). If it got thick enough, it would start
    to work like a lathe and rip the belt. Every rebuild, I started checking the gap. Most of the time it would be too wide of a gap, but sometimes it
    isn't wide enough. After making sure the adjustment is in spec, I'm seeing a lot less ripped up belts because ot the toner buildup on the sep plate.

I think on your list, (G) Will be, wait til the new model, we'll make the fuser where you can't repair it, you'll have to replace it as an assembly.
    This is particularly common on the eS4555C. If that gap is too great it will flip the leading edge corner and jam E940, EA10, E920. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

I had good intentions to watch. I never make the Service Manager CC's because they are at 8:00 and that's one of the busiest times of the day for me. But hey, this is at 7:30, awesome. Set calendar reminders, good to go. Well we are short handed this week. By the time I saw my reminders it was after 8:00. Oh well, maybe they'll put a link up on Exchange to watch it later. Y'all can all chuckle at that last sentence just as I did after I typed it.