Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    8518A C471 error

Re: 8518A C471 error

Rusty, Thou art the chosen one.
    So shall it be written
    So shall it be done

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

There's a new bulletin out to address the C471. The new idea is that there isn't enough pressure against the induction coil, so they strengthened the springs on the holder, and changed the color from black to silver, they also changed the color of the new studs. I found at least one fuser in the field so far that had the new style holder replaced, before the bulletin was published. So it had the new springs with the old studs. Fortunately, I had a spare unit, so I downgraded the springs since I didn't have the studs.

So far, I have replaced 3 belt holders with the new holder kit that is now available, it hasn't been long, I will report back if any fail in the near future.

attaching the bulletin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    8518A C471 error

Quote Originally Posted by Logged-on View Post
    There's a new bulletin out to address the C471. The new idea is that there isn't enough pressure against the induction coil, so they strengthened the springs on the holder, and changed the color from black to silver, they also changed the color of the new studs. I found at least one fuser in the field so far that had the new style holder replaced, before the bulletin was published. So it had the new springs with the old studs. Fortunately, I had a spare unit, so I downgraded the springs since I didn't have the studs.

So far, I have replaced 3 belt holders with the new holder kit that is now available, it hasn't been long, I will report back if any fail in the near future.

attaching the bulletin

So far, so good on this end. I did an end around after Thanksgiving, since the belt holders were on back order. I ordered a ton of springs and pins and just rebuilt belt holders that were not torn up. Haven't had one come back yet.
    I've replaced about 2 dozen belt holders with the new ones...knock on wood...nothing back yet.
    So I can how they are doing, I use a felt tip marker to put on the metal plate with the gears, what's been replaced, along with the date.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I just had my first issue with a fuser drive gear, doesn't have anything to do with the bulletin but it did occur to me that if they changed the pins to lock the fuser into place, shouldn't the drive gear, or gears be changed to accommodate the new position of the fuser?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    8518A C471 error

New core, springs, pins are helping

We ran out of new cores again, and have been just replacing the studs & springs in the core, on cores
    that aren't all scratched up, and seem to be having VERY good luck with a tremendous DROP in fuser
    calls.
    (I still wish they would update them to be a bit beefier, but then we'd have new issues to address)