Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Water damage

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Water damage

Water damage

Sorry no photos. JUST installed a new 4518 with a MJ1109, hole punch,
    MR3031, KD1058/9. School...(we placed 60 out of 200, rest on backorder).
    Customer had the machine in a teachers workroom...coffee maker with a
    water line.
    Sometime yesterday after they left, the seal in the water line broke, and
    tech said a "fountain stream" of water hit the machine from the finisher side
    to the bypass side from around 4pm until 7am.
    Copier was plugged in, on, but in sleep mode.
    They yanked the cord out of the wall (not me, standing water on tile floor)
    Tech pulled open the LCF, puddle of water, water standing on top of the toner
    cartridge, LED erase heads, developer unit, paper trays, LVPS heat sinks, ADF
    They've had the machine for about 2-3 weeks. LOL
    They asked "can it be dried out". Tech said NOPE, turn it in to your insurance
    company.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Water damage

Re: Water damage

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty.Harris View Post
    Sorry no photos. JUST installed a new 4518 with a MJ1109, hole punch,
    MR3031, KD1058/9. School...(we placed 60 out of 200, rest on backorder).
    Customer had the machine in a teachers workroom...coffee maker with a
    water line.
    Sometime yesterday after they left, the seal in the water line broke, and
    tech said a "fountain stream" of water hit the machine from the finisher side
    to the bypass side from around 4pm until 7am.
    Copier was plugged in, on, but in sleep mode.
    They yanked the cord out of the wall (not me, standing water on tile floor)
    Tech pulled open the LCF, puddle of water, water standing on top of the toner
    cartridge, LED erase heads, developer unit, paper trays, LVPS heat sinks, ADF
    They've had the machine for about 2-3 weeks. LOL
    They asked "can it be dried out". Tech said NOPE, turn it in to your insurance
    company.
    ... Schools are hard on copiers even under the best of circumstances. Maybe you will get a great parts copier for this fleet out of the insurance claim.

The trick is what will you be able to provide them with until your back orders get shipped?

Water damage

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... Schools are hard on copiers even under the best of circumstances. Maybe you will get a great parts copier for this fleet out of the insurance claim.

The trick is what will you be able to provide them with until your back orders get shipped?

We have all of the smaller machines replaced...it's the 110 of the 8518's we are waiting on. We only received
    7. Nice thing, the one's we received already have the fuser updates installed, so that's a headache I don't have
    to worry about changing out the springs, pins and what not.
    When that series first came along, I made the mistake of telling the field techs not to screw with the fusers, takes
    too much time. Had a few extra cores, I would have 3-4 on the shelf for them to check out, and they would bring
    me the old ones.
    Well...travel forward to the winter of 2018. I wish I had a dollar for every one of those things I've rebuilt!
    THIS is just in 7 months.

Fuser studs.jpg

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Water damage

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty.Harris View Post
    We have all of the smaller machines replaced...it's the 110 of the 8518's we are waiting on. We only received
    7. Nice thing, the one's we received already have the fuser updates installed, so that's a headache I don't have
    to worry about changing out the springs, pins and what not.
    When that series first came along, I made the mistake of telling the field techs not to screw with the fusers, takes
    too much time. Had a few extra cores, I would have 3-4 on the shelf for them to check out, and they would bring
    me the old ones.
    Well...travel forward to the winter of 2018. I wish I had a dollar for every one of those things I've rebuilt!
    THIS is just in 7 months.

Fuser studs.jpg

... so you are happy with the fuser now? Can it breeze past 500,000 prints?

... can you perform high level enhanced remote assistance (eRA) on this fleet? eCloud Connect? VNC turned on on every copier? A School IT Dept onside with Toshiba's remote service capabilities? Papercut? Any other apps?

Water damage

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... so you are happy with the fuser now? Can it breeze past 500,000 prints?

... can you perform high level enhanced remote assistance (eRA) on this fleet? eCloud Connect? VNC turned on on every copier? A School IT Dept onside with Toshiba's remote service capabilities? Papercut? Any other apps?

We've had a couple that came back OVER 500K. Other than the machine brand new out of the box, that's the first time it's happened.
    Papercut? I don't deal with it, but the guys in the field hate it.

That's a bummer of a situation, especially for a machine that's only been around for a couple of weeks! You're right, water damage on electronics like that is typically beyond a simple "dry it out" fix. Your tech gave some good advice about contacting the insurance company.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crowney View Post
    That's a bummer of a situation, especially for a machine that's only been around for a couple of weeks! You're right, water damage on electronics like that is typically beyond a simple "dry it out" fix. Your tech gave some good advice about contacting the insurance company.
    Dear Grave Looter.

Please do not revive this post unnecessarily, and if you need to, create a new one.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowney View Post
    For future reference or anyone else in a similar pinch, it might be helpful to consult professionals in water damage restoration. A company like Water Damage Restoration San Diego - Service Solutions Restoration offers specialized services that go beyond the DIY approach. They even provide 24/7 emergency services, so you're not left waiting with a waterlogged machine.