7506ac New cartridge(multiple) reading no toner

This started out as a no Magenta toner call. I had been there a week earlier for a courtesy call since I was in the area at another account. They had 2 full sets at that time. They have a 6506ac as well. Cartridges were in a different area, new people weren't aware. We tracked them down, replaced the obviously empty Magenta cartridge. Next day, the machine is reporting zero magenta toner. I take a toner motor assy with the CTIF pcb on from a known good machine and swapped it. Same problem. If you keep reseating the cartridge, it will read 100% until you start making copies. The Yellow also dropped to 1% even though it's half full. A new Yellow reads 100%. Taking a logic board and the wiring from the CTIF to it. Anybody else seen this?
    BC?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: 7506ac New cartridge(multiple) reading no toner

is this a "no" toner or toner not recognized?
    We had a couple issues with 1600 series firmware if the customer had an older toner cartridges laying around.
    They changed the programming for the crum chips to knock out some of the 3rd party toner cartridges.
    Backing them down to 1512 would fix it.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

05-4833, then install the new toner.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

A couple of common things:

Did the enduser remove the plastic sheet covering the opening to the toner cartridge? If it continues to try to push toner out through a closed opening, it will break the "D" shaped shaft on the toner cartridge. Once the machine runs for a certain length of time and still gets no more toner is writes data to the toner cartridge chip that it's empty. So even though there's toner, you'll never be able to use it because the chip says it's empty.

I've seen the connector on the inside rear frame to the EEPROM chip get bent, so it doesn't engage with the chip, but that reads "no toner cartridge", not "empty ... ".

Check the drive couplers for each of the developing units on the inside of the rear frame. They've been known to break on previous incarnations of this same engine. When there is no agitation of the developer it reads low toner. Once the machine runs for a certain length of time and still gets no more toner is writes data to the toner cartridge chip ... you get the idea.

There may be other issues with the developing unit: for example the wiper that cleans off the surface of the toner sensor may come off. Or you might get a hard crust over the toner sensor, so it's not properly reading the developer density. While you're in there, make sure that your developer seals aren't leaking. Common on that model, the "E" clips that clip onto the front of the agitation shafts will start to spin freely, acting as a cutting tool on the soft metal shafts, until the clip falls off, and the shaft slips out the back of the developing unit. When I look at those developing units, I always make sure that the "E" clips grip the shaft tightly ... don't spin when you rotate the drive.

Does the door over the toner cartridge opening properly indicate open/closed on the screen? I've seen issues with that microswitch lever getting bent, from slamming.

I have replaced a couple of those toner drive motors, and that wasn't the issue.

That should give you a place to start. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quick to check and may solve the toner adding problem - check if the toner hooper unit is installed correctly and the black locking clips clips into the frame, toner drive may disengage. Your YM's are on left hand side so start from there. This can happen after changing developer by an engineer and not install back correctly the hooper unit.
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Quote Originally Posted by tnrtt View Post
    This started out as a no Magenta toner call. I had been there a week earlier for a courtesy call since I was in the area at another account. They had 2 full sets at that time. They have a 6506ac as well. Cartridges were in a different area, new people weren't aware. We tracked them down, replaced the obviously empty Magenta cartridge. Next day, the machine is reporting zero magenta toner. I take a toner motor assy with the CTIF pcb on from a known good machine and swapped it. Same problem. If you keep reseating the cartridge, it will read 100% until you start making copies. The Yellow also dropped to 1% even though it's half full. A new Yellow reads 100%. Taking a logic board and the wiring from the CTIF to it. Anybody else seen this?
    BC?

Logic PCB was the cure.