Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    \ FileShare transfer files to a new copier

\\ FileShare transfer files to a new copier

What do you think is the best method to transfer PDF files located on the copiers HDD (aka FileShare) to a new copier?

I recently upgraded a e2000AC into a e2020AC and one employee used FileShare a lot for for storing mechanical drawings.

I have not removed the e2000AC from the customer's location.

I think I am going to have connect to the old copier with my laptop and a cable. Create \\192.168.2.217 (FileShare) on my laptop and view the PDF files.

1. I could print each one and rescan each one to the new FileShare. This implies the old copier is on the LAN.
    2. I could store all files to a USB drive
    3. For some reason if I try to copy and paste them into the new FileShare I get the message that I do not have permission.
    4. I think I need to create a scan to folder on the employees computer. We will call it Scan. Then I can directly copy and paste from the USB file into the Scan folder.
    5. I am also thinking I can temporarily roll the old copier back in place and put it back on the LAN. The employee can view the files from his computer. I can copy and paste them into the new scan folder and create a Network scan path.
    6. There does not seem to be any export settings in Top Access/ Maintenance to facilitate this.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: \\ FileShare transfer files to a new copier

It just seems like a bad idea to use the Wipe Drive in this way. I know there is significantly less HDD failure since the new firmware, but you're a lot more likely to lose your files, stored on a Toshiba Wipe Drive.

Too often I've had to give the bad news ... no those files are not recoverable ... they're completely irretrievably gone. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    It just seems like a bad idea to use the Wipe Drive in this way. I know there is significantly less HDD failure since the new firmware, but you're a lot more likely to lose your files, stored on a Toshiba Wipe Drive.

Too often I've had to give the bad news ... no those files are not recoverable ... they're completely irretrievably gone. =^..^=
    ... good point, the copier's HDD could die. Less likely now that the e2020Ac has a SSD.

The generation of copiers before the e2000AC, aka the e2050c/ e2555c were prone to HDD failures.

The HDD within the employee's computer could die also, so perhaps the better solution is to suggest a free cloud storage solution combined with a free copier app like Scan to MS OneDrive.

I asked earlier in the day if the customer uses MS365 and the owner replied that they do not. I will examine one of their computers more closely next week.

Overall, I would not describe this business as technically savvy. They are in the commercial glass business. I was going to ask them if they had ever been hacked. I was talking to them today about how I had enabled Searchable PDF as their new default. They did not seem to take in the concept until I scanned a piece of paper for them and asked them to search for a keyword.

They seem to me to be overly reliant on scan to email as their primary method of file transfer. They have no file servers and store old documents in bankers boxes.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Sell them a NAS with an offsite backup (cloud or such), do up an IT services contract for it, map Remote 1 to NAS, map workstation to NAS - Profit.

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

Oh man, I missed this.

I usually just create a scans folder on the desktop and copy everything out before changing out a machine. I have a few customers that do massive scanning to their file shares and I recommend that they transfer everything out at least twice a month. I have a lawyer that actually filled the file share to the point where no new scans were able to be received.

You COULD also have them go to a direct file path on a server that gets backed up to OneDrive or just get a separate NAS and go straight to that. Just make sure someone has the correct login / password for the direct scanning.

Same, blackcat - I've had to give that bad news as well. It never goes over well. I have to remind them it's a hard drive. They can last 3 decades or 3 hours sometimes.