Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Laser Inkjet labels

Laser Inkjet labels

I was at a customer location yesterday with an old e2555c copier where the user was reusing Avery sheet labels and putting them through the bypass.

Of course, eventually several of those labels peeled off and became attached to the transfer belt and black drum, destroying it.

This forced a service call on the dealer and the extra cost of replacing the black drum.

I scolded the customer that they cannot put partially used sheet labels through the copier anymore as the heat of the fuser loosens the remaining labels from the backing paper.

I inspected the boxes of labels that the customer was using. Some were marked "laser" which is Ok and some were marked "Laser/Inkjet".

I am wondering if the Laser/Inkjet labels should not be put through a copier?

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: Laser Inkjet labels

I tell customers not to use any "inkjet" labels in our Toshibas; they melt and turn into Shrinky Dinks. Laser / coper / heat treated only.
    I also tell them not to use "EZ Peel" labels. These labels do not have the border around the labels and they EZ Peel themselves onto drums, belts, and fusers. I always tell customer labels are a onetime print, you cannot print the same sheet over and over...but we all know that they do. One warning, then it becomes billable.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Laser Inkjet labels

If it doesn't say "laser" or more specifically says "inkjet" only, they will not work well in any laser based device.

This was a huge thing with the Samsung desktop color laser printers. You could get a new printer for $99USD with starter cartridges (1/4 full). These customers are not going to buy the high end full gloss laser labels (they are too expensive), so they get the full gloss inkjet labels. Those inkjet labels would roll up like a sleeve around the heat sleeve, then shrink down tight until the fuser couldn't rotate any more.

Naturally the manufacturers warranty does not cover stupidity, so the printers would get carried into our office ... then carried back out again. The replacement fuser cost more than the whole machine, then add labor. Quite a few were abandoned, and sat uselessly on our shelves for a while. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Laser Inkjet labels

Avery manufactures their popular #5160 labels that states right on the front of the packaging "Mailing labels for Laser & Inkjet printers"

I do not understand how two different technologies can use the same label media.

Of course, the customer reads that and thinks it must be OK to put through their copier.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts davidmtupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Avery manufactures their popular #5160 labels that states right on the front of the packaging "Mailing labels for Laser & Inkjet printers"

I do not understand how two different technologies can use the same label media.

Of course, the customer reads that and thinks it must be OK to put through their copier.
    Typically an inkjet can print on any media that the ink can dry on, though quality may suffer. Top quality inkjet paper is often clay coated to enhance the drying and quality, but any plain, pulp-based paper will work in inkjet printers/copiers. If they make them for a laser then they will work in an inkjet (mostly), the reverse is not true.

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

At least they aren't running transparencies!!!

I always advise the key op to not use inkjet labels, laser only. Unfortunately, key ops come and go so sometimes we get a zipped label.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts davidmtupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    At least they aren't running transparencies!!!
    Yup, that usually means a new fuser, at a minimum. Good news, that's a chargeable call, at least the second time.

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davidmtupper View Post
    Yup, that usually means a new fuser, at a minimum. Good news, that's a chargeable call, at least the second time.
    We had a customer once when we were a Panasonic dealership. The old 250/350/450's had a mylar strip before the exit. Not ONLY did the get it wrapped around the fuser, but they managed to rip the mylar off as well.

That was an expensive service call for them.