Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

5015AC billing customer for color copies when printing black

I have a church with Mac computers. His complaint is he sends a booklet to the printer, only the cover page is printed in color, but when the job prints it bills him for all pages full color. He is making stapled booklets so he can't separate the job. I know when the GZ file is downloaded from the Toshiba site, there are at least 3 options for the Toshiba software, I normally select the Toshiba Color MFP choice, the other 2 I remember end with CN, and an X7, should I be selecting a different option?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: 5015AC billing customer for color copies when printing black

As a copy job the answer is obvious. The copier should be defaulted to Auto colour.

In a Windows print driver, the default printer settings should be set to Auto.

I do not have an OSX computer but I would look for the same in the print driver under Printer Features/ Color Type/ Auto.

What version of OSX is the customer using?

I do not think selecting Toshiba Color MFP or X7 will make much diffference.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

In the print driver, look for Color Settings 1. Under Color Type, Auto must be selected to enable color and b&W counts within same job. By default, the Mac driver has Color on - which means no matter if the document is color, b&w or mixed, it will count as color. After each job, the Color Type will revert to Color. The workaround is to create a couple presets: one for b&w printing and one for auto color printing.
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thank you Arnh79, that solved the problem.

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arnh79 View Post
    In the print driver, look for Color Settings 1. Under Color Type, Auto must be selected to enable color and b&W counts within same job. By default, the Mac driver has Color on - which means no matter if the document is color, b&w or mixed, it will count as color. After each job, the Color Type will revert to Color. The workaround is to create a couple presets: one for b&w printing and one for auto color printing.

THANK YOU X A BAJILLION.

I have been looking for this answer for well over....ummmmmm, some many amount of years now.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Sometimes we have difficult customers not wanting to do so many 'clicks' to choose the preset (MAC users) we create for them. They just want click and print. If you know about CUPS which is some kind of a web console with administration and managing options for all printers and drivers. Here you can setup the Default Settings to be from Colour to BW or Auto and many more. The user must be an admin to activate the cups web console via a terminal command. Easy to find on the web what to do but takes time to configure more MAC's.
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Today, I had a similar problem, but the customer is using a PC. He had a document saved in Word, it was 60 pages. I was remoted in to his computer. He selected all the text in the document in Word, changed the color to black, and sent the print job. when it completed, the counter showed 3 color pages printed, when the whole document was set to black. I wanted to try to determine which pages were printing as color, but he was a bit upset due to billing, so he kind of dominated the discussion. He mentioned one of his employees isn't strong on the computer, so he was hoping to be able to leave the driver set to auto, and expects the device to print without billing for color.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Marc

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Logged-on View Post
    Today, I had a similar problem, but the customer is using a PC. He had a document saved in Word, it was 60 pages. I was remoted in to his computer. He selected all the text in the document in Word, changed the color to black, and sent the print job. when it completed, the counter showed 3 color pages printed, when the whole document was set to black. I wanted to try to determine which pages were printing as color, but he was a bit upset due to billing, so he kind of dominated the discussion. He mentioned one of his employees isn't strong on the computer, so he was hoping to be able to leave the driver set to auto, and expects the device to print without billing for color.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Marc
    You could install a second print driver from a similar e4518A and label it black only. Label the e5015AC driver Color. The employee would have to decide which driver to use.

Note when printing from a web browser like Chrome, the print driver in Chrome overrides the Toshiba Universal 2 driver. If an employee prints in color in Chrome, it will overide the black default setting in the Toshiba Universal 2 driver. This is not a problem unique to Toshiba. It effects all OEMs equally.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for the reply, but he didn't print from a browser, he was printing from Word. I wanted to try to determine which pages in the 60 page document that decided they wanted to charge color by either printing a batch and reducing the quantity, or print each page individually until we found one that charged color. My suspicion is that on these pages that charge color, there is some attribute that is being overlooked, but he didn't have the patience to try that. I am probably set in my mindset that he has something on the page that is being recognized as color, but without being able to see the actual page, I'm not going to be able to determine why 3 of 60 are charging color. I noticed on the first page he has a graphic, that appears to be monochrome, but that doesn't mean it's going to print that way if there is some color in it. As I mentioned he did select the whole document, and changed color to Black, but I think that wouldn't affect graphics, if that was added with any color characteristics.

I don't think a second driver would be a welcome suggestion, because that would take as much effort as just changing the driver settings.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Logged-on View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but he didn't print from a browser, he was printing from Word. I wanted to try to determine which pages in the 60 page document that decided they wanted to charge color by either printing a batch and reducing the quantity, or print each page individually until we found one that charged color. My suspicion is that on these pages that charge color, there is some attribute that is being overlooked, but he didn't have the patience to try that. I am probably set in my mindset that he has something on the page that is being recognized as color, but without being able to see the actual page, I'm not going to be able to determine why 3 of 60 are charging color. I noticed on the first page he has a graphic, that appears to be monochrome, but that doesn't mean it's going to print that way if there is some color in it. As I mentioned he did select the whole document, and changed color to Black, but I think that wouldn't affect graphics, if that was added with any color characteristics.

I don't think a second driver would be a welcome suggestion, because that would take as much effort as just changing the driver settings.

Thank you again for your assistance.

I've fought this battle myself, with the enduser creating docs in Microsoft Publisher. All it takes is one color pixel on a page to make it a color image. I understand in some applications the app places a few cyan pixels into the image even if you specify black only, CMYK color scheme. Also selection variations on rich black introduces pixels of magenta or cyan, or both. Furthermore, I am to understand that Adobe Professional is the preferred application for creating such documents, then the enduser is scrutinizing B&W versus Color counts.

So as you already know, it's the screaming that's the difficult part to get past. IF you can get them calmed down, then you can consider the application question. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=