Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Department counter, wants print jobs released at the copier, not from the driver

First time I've been asked this question. The customer reports he has the department counter enabled, but said some jobs are not printing. He wants to be able to release the print jobs from the copier, rather than entering the code when the job is sent. He reported he found a way, by making the print driver private he said he was able to enter the code at the machine and his documents printed. He wanted to know if that was best practice, or if there is a better way to set the device up to print jobs from the queue while at the MFP.

Thanks in advance for your attention.
    Marc

Thanks again, I was able to confirm his method in the printing guide, it appears that he was able to correct without my assistance.
    Last edited by Logged-on; 02-03-2023 at 02:26 PM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Department counter, wants print jobs released at the copier, not from the driver

Re: Department counter, wants print jobs released at the copier, not from the driver

These are private boxes. Essentially you set up folders on the machine's HDD. You can password the folder or password the individual documents (or both if you're really anal). The actual print data goes into the folder. If you password the document, you'll have to enter a password to release each document. If you password the folder, you can enter the password once, then release the documents inside.

Additionally there is a function where documents older than 7 days (or whatever time period you choose) get dumped. That prevents the HDD from filling with ignored, or insignificant documents. I encourage my endusers to set 48 hours, so if you don't retrieve it in two days it's gone.

I'd imagine that my customers avoid printing unnecessary documents by using this function. They'd also avoid that situation where if there's the slightest delay, the enduser clicks Print 5 more times, then throws away the 5 extra copies. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Department counter, wants print jobs released at the copier, not from the driver

You can store the department code into the print driver in the Others tab under Preferences, there is a box there against Department Code to fill in the code, This means there is no need to put the code when printing again from PC. If the user uses more than one department code then this won't be a good option, he needs to type manually each time .

In the print driver under preference you should see the Job type on top left corner and it should be normal print, if you select you'll get a menu where you can select to print either hold or private print. When you select private print next to the right you will see a tiny box with 3 dots inside, click there if you want to store you private print password. This means there is no need to re-type the password when printing from PC. Hold print may be a good option combined with department code if the user uses a personal department code, both departmend code and private print passwords are stored into the print driver and the user only needs to set the department code at the MFP. Private print may be more useful for using a department code shared across more thane one user for confidential printing.

Private and Hold print jobs are held on the machine, the user release them accessing the Print button on the MFP screen.

For high security you can restrict the machine to accept only private or hold print jobs send from the PC's, can be set the print job retention time until auto-delete if not released, Ithink by default was 14 days. These settings can be found in TopAccess, Administration, Print or Print functions, can't remember which.

Very important: Print Driver must be Toshiba Universal 2 or PS3 current against the model series of the machine, above options won't work with other manufacturer drivers.
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated