Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    e-Studio 120 - "Add Paper" error even with paper

e-Studio 120 - "Add Paper" error even with paper

Good morning!

I've got a Toshiba e-Studio 120 that, from time to time, will pop up a "add paper" error and will refuse to work afterwards. The error appears even with paper on the drawer, and the only thing that will make this error go away is to turn the machine off then on.

From this, it seems to me this could be an electrical error, and I visually checked the paper sensors and they seem to be in place.

This error ocurs roughly once a day, but can vary (can be a couple of days without coming up; can happen several times a day).

Any clues?

Cheers!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    One of two things is probably happening:

1.) Most likely: This thing uses a little spring loaded clutch which winds up and fires by solenoid to feed paper. From time to time they need to be taken apart, cleaned, re-greased. There are two one for paper pickup and one for intermediate feed. It causes the exact thing you are talking about. Sometimes the springs under the paper riser need to be stretched or it bent up in the middle a little bit too. But the clutch is usually the culprit.

2.) If the machine gets set to feed from the bypass it will NOT go back to the tray until you hit the paper tray select button again (or tun it off and on.) This is easy to check because it's shown by the lights on the "screen."
    I will not give you service manuals or firmware.