Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Ragman

Clearing all data from Hard Drives on various eStudio model copiers

OK I'll be honest, this is just to save money. Our Supplier wants to charge us about $200 per machine to format the hard drives in each copier when we replace them with newer units. Our regulations state this must be done but at $200 a piece that would add up to over $1000 for a job that should only take seconds. These are leased copiers and we just want to make sure that all data (which would include customer's private information) is removed from the hard drives. Our Toshiba salesperson said we could do it, but wasnt very forthcoming on how because for 1, Im sure he doesnt know, and 2 he would lose money if we did it.

So, does anyone know the best, easiest, most thorough ways to remove all data from a hard drive in an eStudio 315C, 352, 282, 281, MFPe etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

hi try power on the machine holding down o+8 until it beeps then let go , soon the machine should enter test mode then type in 690 and press enter on the screen this formats the hard drive hope this helps

Field Tech 500+ Posts
    Clearing all  data from Hard Drives on various eStudio model copiers

We get our hard drives shredded, as when hard drives are formatted it just allows data to be overwritten where the information was written on to the hard drive. The 08-690 will format the hard drive but I am sure that information on the hard drive can still be recovered so that is why we shred them. $200 seems pretty pricey all the same though. If the machines are owned by a leasing company, is it not their responsibility to remove all data from the hard drives?

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

If the $200 includes the HDD and a technician to pull out your old HDD, format and re-install firmware on the HDD so that the machine functions again, then I would call that pretty reasonable.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    For one the leasing company will not even check the machine out. They just send to a wholesaler and let it go and take their cut.
    Ask your service personal what a firmware reload cost. If it is less then the 200.00 then you can try the following.
    remove the hard drive
    plug into a computer and run dban or another DOD spec wipe routine.
    replace in machine and have the service guy reload the firmware.

Or buy another hard drive (pata between 40 and 160gig) and give this to the service person to install and reload firmware.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    thats not that bad a price
    depends on if the system software has to be loaded or not
    and if its a regualtaion then you are stuck
    if you don't have system software pay the man or take your chances on getting caught

As for the leasing companies I know that GE and US Bank have been hit by this I used to audit machines for one of the biggest wholesalers in the US and we were looking at this 5+ years ago depending on the lease wording the leasing company or the deinstallation company are legally and financially responsible for this its a big can of worms but i like it i have printed out death certificiates autopsy reports medical information and such along with lawsuits to show to the powers that be
    and the stuff can be hacked although I have heard many times that its unintelligible and encrypted and such

its a simple process to read the erased information

Re: Clearing all data from Hard Drives on various eStudio model copiers

You can purchase a Wipe Tool Software for Toshiba HDD's. With this tool you can erase, repair software errors on HDD and also you can transform a regular HDD to a wipe one.
    Here is the link:

Wipe Tool Software & Firmware Toshiba e-Studio 2540c, 2540cse, 3540c, 3540cse -

Regards,

Re: Clearing all data from Hard Drives on various eStudio model copiers

[QUOTE=Iulian_D;516926]You can purchase a Wipe Tool Software for Toshiba HDD's. With this tool you can erase, repair software errors on HDD and also you can transform a regular HDD to a wipe one.
    Here is the link:

Wipe Tool Software & Firmware Toshiba e-Studio 2540c, 2540cse, 3540c, 3540cse -

Anyone knows where is this tool available at?