Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Xerox 7830, stuck booting

Forgive me for asking without seeing the machine first. Cust was gone before I got there. Was reported as stuck on green screen. I had a call on an older Xerox about 5 or 6 years ago and it was the dimm memory. Then I went to Xerox school. First call was stuck on boot screen. I used the raps and Xerox tech support and wound up changing all the boards. Did not fix. I then found that by pulling out and reseating everything several times , I got it to boot. Colors sucked, and that is how I found the issue was with the magenta drum. Since I only get a few Xerox calls a year, my question is, is there a usual starting point for this issue or should I just follow the reps and call tech support.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Technician
    Xerox 7830,  stuck booting

Re: Xerox 7830, stuck booting

what does the nine segment display on the board in the back show?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Try doing an altboot. If there is a "U" on the 7-segment display you most likely have a bad hard drive.

Thanks for responding. I won't see the machine til morning. Will update as to what I find.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Technician

please do, good luck. I would bring a hard drive with you.

so I used altboot to upgrade the firmware. When I did all I saw in the 7 segment display was a and c. Finally came to the point where I thought I could make a copy, it jammed then said it was still upgrading software, scan engine. Have had nothing but a u on the 7 seg display since. It rebooted several more times, then it was all happy again. When I arriaved, customer said she could print even though the screen was stuck. Machine ould spit out a page with current software and say update had failed. This told me it wanted new software, bad. Customer said it all started after a worker killed a main breaker. At this point, all I can say is that you lifelong Xerox techs would shit a brick if you knew how easy firmware is on every other product. Last time an HP took 15 minutes, I was having a fit.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Then the answer is simple simply "refuse" to work on Xerox machines. (That will show Xerox!)

Let us poor "Lifetime Xerox Tech" suffer thru the agony.

I think the old saying goes appropriately here.

"DON'T FIX THE BLAME----FIX THE PROBLEM"

You say you were trained by Xerox. What did Xerox tech support say when you called them??

Technician

The upgrade failed? Replace the hard drive then Altboot (pretty much any 2.5" laptop hard drive would work, 250gb i think).

I would check to see if you would get to the web interface into the machine first to try to get a clone file. do you know what software version is in it currently .71 .72 or .73? the clone wont import if it is from an older version and you install the latest with the altboot after the hard drive.

If the settings are a big deal to the customer.

Guess I wasn't clear, my error. I was typing while waiting on it. First firmware upgrade on a Xerox. Didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment. The upgrade fixed the issue. When you spend 20 years doing firmware upgrades in 5 to 15 minutes, the first time you wait over an hour and watch the machine reboot 6 or 7 times, well , it takes some getting used to. I also didn't call Xerox because I took the advice of flash and did an altboot. Thanks Flash. You have helped me before and I really appreciate it.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like the Konica Minolta bizhub C3110. It's a tabletop color unit with some kind of crossbreed firmware. It's a little frightening to watch the update. The screen keeps flashing back to the Copy screen in the middle of the update, counting up 0% to 100% 9 or 10 times. And when it is successful it displays "ERROR PRESS >". And that's just one of four firmware files, each done entirely separately.

At least once a week I get a call from somebody: " ... this can't be right. Is this how it's supposed to work?"
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=