Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Xerox 700 Fuser Temp

Xerox 700 Fuser Temp

Just picked up a Xerox 700i... Don't have it yet, but are there NVMs or a PWS dC routine to boost the 700's fuser temperature? I know it uses the low-melt EA-Eco toner, and lowered its fuser temperatures compared to the 250/252 because of it, but I would like to run it "hot" same as the 250/252 so that the EA-Eco comes out a little bit more glossy.

Thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Xerox 700 Fuser Temp

Re: Xerox 700 Fuser Temp

I do not know how rugged the Fuser area of the 700i is (let alone other assemblies in the vicinity of the fuser), however running higher fuser temps can could accelerated wear and tear issues.

For instance the Xerox 5334 and all of the other models in this product family which used a plastic frame and mounting bracket for the photo receptor belt. The high fuser temps would warp, and/or cause the frame and mounting bracket to crumble. The cure was to lower the Fuser temperature.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Xerox 700 Fuser Temp

Quote Originally Posted by monarke4 View Post
    I do not know how rugged the Fuser area of the 700i is (let alone other assemblies in the vicinity of the fuser), however running higher fuser temps can could accelerated wear and tear issues.

For instance the Xerox 5334 and all of the other models in this product family which used a plastic frame and mounting bracket for the photo receptor belt. The high fuser temps would warp, and/or cause the frame and mounting bracket to crumble. The cure was to lower the Fuser temperature.
    I'm not talking about running them _unusually_ hot. Just the same temperature as the model that preceded them. When they created the "low melt" EA-Eco toner, they reduced the fuser temperature by 5 to 25 degrees (depending on the paper type). However, the fuser itself, in fact the whole machine itself, is nearly identical to the model that preceded it that did use the regular temperatures. So there is no concern about the temperature being too high.

For those that are familiar with the machine, I know there are some half-latch NVM settings which can increase fusing pressure, which can have much the same result, but my hope was to do just a LITTLE bit of both pressure and heat, rather than a LOT of just one or the other. Less wear-and-tear.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    I'm not talking about running them _unusually_ hot. Just the same temperature as the model that preceded them. When they created the "low melt" EA-Eco toner, they reduced the fuser temperature by 5 to 25 degrees (depending on the paper type). However, the fuser itself, in fact the whole machine itself, is nearly identical to the model that preceded it that did use the regular temperatures. So there is no concern about the temperature being too high.

For those that are familiar with the machine, I know there are some half-latch NVM settings which can increase fusing pressure, which can have much the same result, but my hope was to do just a LITTLE bit of both pressure and heat, rather than a LOT of just one or the other. Less wear-and-tear.

Thanks!
    Change NVM location 740-043 from 0 to 1 to enable Coated Mode for
    stock weights above 176gsm:
    a. Access tools mode by selecting the “Log in/Out” button on the
    UI console.
    b. Enter 5 ones (11111) and select Enter.
    c. Select the “Tools” folder on the All Services page.
    d. In the features column, scroll down and select “Maintenance”.
    e. Select “NVM Read/Write”
    f. Enter NVM chain link 740-043 to enable the Heavyweight
    Paper mode.
    g. Enter 740-043
    h. Press Confirm/Change
    i. Press 1 to Enable, press 0 to disable
    j. Press Save
    k. Close out of tools mode.

This will help make all your prints look high gloss...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Xerox 700 Fuser Temp

Quote Originally Posted by Dech View Post
    Change NVM location 740-043 from 0 to 1 to enable Coated Mode for
    stock weights above 176gsm:
    a. Access tools mode by selecting the “Log in/Out” button on the
    UI console.
    b. Enter 5 ones (11111) and select Enter.
    c. Select the “Tools” folder on the All Services page.
    d. In the features column, scroll down and select “Maintenance”.
    e. Select “NVM Read/Write”
    f. Enter NVM chain link 740-043 to enable the Heavyweight
    Paper mode.
    g. Enter 740-043
    h. Press Confirm/Change
    i. Press 1 to Enable, press 0 to disable
    j. Press Save
    k. Close out of tools mode.

This will help make all your prints look high gloss...
    Thanks! I'll save your post to try out when I get the machine in. What is it that this switch is actually doing? Slowing down the paper travel allowing it to cook more? Increasing the temperature? Doing some trickery with the half-latch fuser? Thanks again.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Xerox 700 Fuser Temp

Thanks!
    did you try defining the paper @ a heavier weight? that slows the feed down and boosts temp a bit for proper bonding of toner to media

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Xerox 700 Fuser Temp

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    did you try defining the paper @ a heavier weight? that slows the feed down and boosts temp a bit for proper bonding of toner to media
    Thanks! Yeah, that's one of my favorite tricks. My main concern was if they lowered the temperature because of the new low-melt toner. I've actually been using 700 toner in a 252 for a long time. It is great because I can run card stocks at paper speeds, because the 700's toner is designed to melt at lower temps, but the 252 is still a "higher temp" generation machine. (Much of the time, not always, though.) It is kind of like a poor man's AP or Productivity Mode... I was hoping that if I could increase the 700's temps back up to 252 levels, like before the low melt toners, that I might be able to continue doing the same, but at the even faster 70ppm speed. If I have to slow the 700 down to get the gloss I want, it isn't as much of a benefit over the 252-with-700-toner. (Other than all the other benefits the 700 brings over a 252, of course.)

Basically I just like figuring out printer hacks...

Thanks! I'll save your post to try out when I get the machine in. What is it that this switch is actually doing? Slowing down the paper travel allowing it to cook more? Increasing the temperature? Doing some trickery with the half-latch fuser? Thanks again.
    Pleasure......Raises the temp.... try it, you will see a big difference...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Xerox 700 Fuser Temp

Search on bulletins for 740-043 and read them
    I found five bulletins