Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Xerox C75 Grinding noise

Good Morning

We have a Xerox Color C75 which is working really great for us. A few weeks ago we noticed a slight grinding noise coming from the back every now and then. It has now escallated and is there with startup and then also if we print. Sounds like gears are slipping or terribly worn. The machine shows no error code (yet).

I opened up the back panel to see or hear where it comes from, also opened or moved the 'electric box' out of the way at the back to gain access to the motors and such. Obviously when the machine is off one cant hear the noise. I checked the belts and gears of the spent-toner transport but all all looks fine. It seems to be either the Fuser motor or perhaps the Deve Motor.

How can I get these motors to turn independently, say from a diagnostic menu. I can get into the diag menu and tried in the key-chain, for example 010-001 is supposed to turn the fuser motor - but it does not - it says 'cant start'.

I guess if I can get the various motors to turn a bit I will be able to pinpoint the grinding noise.

Any other help or suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts InterfaceP's Avatar

Re: Xerox C75 Grinding noise

Did you ever fix the duplex problem from your previous post? It sounds like the duplex gears are slipping, and it will get worse $$$ if you continue to operate it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I've had a few seized ITB cleaners cause this.

Pop it off the ITB assembly and see if it turns freely.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Its not the Duplex gears, its coming from the back of the machine, or the inside back, more or less where the fuser is situated. The duplex problem was fixed when we replaced the drive belt of the duplexer gears. Anyway we do not use the duplex function anyway anymore.

I checked the ITB cleaner, cleaned it too and replaced all, checking that all moves smooth and it does.

With switch-on a few seconds there is the gear grinding again. Gonna try and figure out how to get to turn the different motors individually. On the Xerox C1000 I have a list of codes that I can type in at the diagnostic program (think its DC330???) and this then switches on the varieous mototrs for which one has the codes.

It is related to the belt or imaging though as it now also makes bands on the solids ( in width, not in the direction the paper travels).

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

OK found the codes i wanted: did the following checks and all worked out fine and no noise from them:
    042-200 ITB belt home sensor (low)
    010-010 Fusing motor - perfect
    042-001 Main motor - perfect
    042-005 Drum motor K - perfect
    042-009 Drum motor CMY - perfect
    042-013 ITB Drive motor - perfect

So the grinding noise is still there. As mentioned at about the half height of the machine at the back. Sounds like gears slipping or a belt. The sounds comes on shortly after startup for a bit (its not the duplexer - which is at the front) and then when I print it starts and stops short of the paper coming out of the machine. On continous prints it is there all the time, and sometimes it is only there every now and then.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Check waste elbow in bottom left corner at rear. Could be broken gear/toner rock in there. I would say it's somewhere in the waste transport.

Quote Originally Posted by makutzi View Post
    OK found the codes i wanted: did the following checks and all worked out fine and no noise from them:
    042-200 ITB belt home sensor (low)
    010-010 Fusing motor - perfect
    042-001 Main motor - perfect
    042-005 Drum motor K - perfect
    042-009 Drum motor CMY - perfect
    042-013 ITB Drive motor - perfect

So the grinding noise is still there. As mentioned at about the half height of the machine at the back. Sounds like gears slipping or a belt. The sounds comes on shortly after startup for a bit (its not the duplexer - which is at the front) and then when I print it starts and stops short of the paper coming out of the machine. On continous prints it is there all the time, and sometimes it is only there every now and then.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Cool Re: Xerox C75 Grinding noise

I found IT!!!!

Did 093-018 Deve motor and the noise was there
    093-020 - also
    093-023 Perfect
    093-024 Deve YMC - noise was back

Distinct gear grinding etc. So will probably have to replace the motor assy then. At least I know where the fault is now. Perhaps just some worn gears or something - in Africa anything is possible.

Thanks all for the help and ideas

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fatfingers73 View Post
    Check waste elbow in bottom left corner at rear. Could be broken gear/toner rock in there. I would say it's somewhere in the waste transport.
    Good idea, however I did check it and all was clean and fine. Thanks

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi All

Problem solved! Removed the Deve drive assy (CMY), opened up the gear and belt system, cleaned all out, gave it a good wiggle and reassembled it. Built it back in and voila, only a few grunts and then all was sound. Not sure how long this will hold. I think perhaps I should have tightened the belt tensioners a bit, guess the belts wear out over tine and can slip. Well, until next time i guess.