Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum cleaner

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Vacuum cleaner

Is it okay to use a vacuum cleaner for suction of Toner drops in the Xerox Colour Machines ( C75, J75, C70, C800 etc )?

Some time back Xerox discouraged the use of vacuum cleaners on some Machines. It was said that the Vacuum cleaner

could explode because of the type of toner. Since then I avoided using vacuum cleaners when cleaning machines.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Vacuum cleaner

How else could you clean copier, use good one with correct filter carrridge.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Vacuum cleaner

Make sure you're using a vacuum that has a ground plate where the hose goes into filter. We use "Ultivac" vacuums that have this as part of the design. I think they discouraged using a vacuum due to static shocks taking things out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    It was said that the Vacuum cleaner

could explode because of the type of toner.
    Good ole' Xerox!! Full of shite as always!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Vacuum cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by chubblies View Post
    incorrect as the previous poster mentioned...

ground plate on the hose to earth ground.

Toner CAN be very explosive if exposed to Fire or Spark when in the air... Much like wood flakes... hence the need for grounds... spark arrestor ..ect

But I must admit.. their brand is my least favorite.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chubblies View Post

Won't argue the full of shite statement,,,,

But way back when,, in the days of the 2400/3600/7000,,, toner explosions were common.

Xerox insisted that we refer to them as "rapid combustion incidents"

What happened is, toner would fall from the lip of the brush housing onto the preclean coroton a couple of inches below it, and boom!

Of course, it didn't help that we would run the machine with the drum out, brushing the toner back into the brush housing, as part of a machine trim. I got a black face on more than one occasion. These were real coal miners, dirty beyond belief. I used to wonder if the true purpose of the machine was not to sell clicks, but to push outrageously priced toner from the hopper to a filter bag that could give you a hernia when you lifted it.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Vacuum cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    How else could you clean copier, use good one with correct filter carrridge.
    i use only the 3M brand.. they have a ground strap that touches the Filter and hose to ground... make sure your machine is powered off when you use the Vac.

been working on Xerocks since '89 never had an issue... just DO NOT vac the boards .

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Vacuum cleaner

Hey Brazil -- Most techs left the preclean in once, the rest learned from others mistakes...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Hey Brazil -- Most techs left the preclean in once, the rest learned from others mistakes...

I was a . . .. slow learner.
    It's coming back to me now,, we'd take the brush out vacuum it down,, then work the toner out of the brush housing, using the machine's vacuum to suck the toner towards the filter bag.

I was a walker in San Francisco,, and got my parts delivered as long as I ordered a week in advance.

So, I kept the filter bag inventory well stocked. Usually one behind the machine if it wasn't pushed up against the wall (and on an inch thick carpet)

About that time we got the super suckers . . .
    That was one of Xerox' first affirmative action efforts,,

Fight -ON was the name of the vendor.
    They took a lot of retrofitting to actually make them suck.

It helped hugely when we got steel shot developer,, we could finally get a decent print density without over toning the machine.
    The flint (glass) developer just couldn't carry enough toner.

That was a long time ago,, probably before most of the members of this site were born.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Vacuum cleaner

That was a long time ago,, probably before most of the members of this site were born.

You're most likely right. Although I came in after the sand developer: Jan 74. We had the sirens then from Fight On (I think) here in Rochester. The vacuum bag broke while cleaning out a 3600 on the 18th floor of the Square. Fortunately, the 3600 was in a room by itself and the door was closed because of the vac noise so clean up was easier.

After leaving Xerox in 85, but still servicing the beasts, my truck engine caught fire. Becoming hysterical because of the possible loss of my truck and the $$$ of Xerox parts, I opened the hood and dumped in the only "liquid" I had -- a bottle of 9500 toner. Holy crap did it explode! But I think it sucked all the oxygen out of the fire and put it out.....like putting out the oil fires in Kuwait.