Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum cleaner

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Vacuum cleaner

Re: Vacuum cleaner

I can confirm a regular house vacuum can explode from toner static. It happen to me with a small handheld Hoover vac. But this was back in the analog days so not sure about this waxey toner now a days. I'm sure today's toner still has to have some type of static charge to work but not sure if enough to blow up.

Also most vacuums don't have a 1 or 2 micron filter so the toner will blow right out the exhaust and all over the room.

Buy a 3M vac or other brand copier vac. I saw some used ones on ebay awhile back at good prices.

Yea 3M and other good vacs will prevent you from toasting electronics.
    Was vacuuming up a toner spill with an unearthed machine standing on a rug.
    The moment i stepped of the rug an arch zapped me thru my leather shoe!
    Sat on my ass for a while figuring out what just happened.

I regularly test the vacuum hose to the machine body with a tester just to make sure its earthed before vacuuming near or on electronic prints.
    Any thing under 2 Mega Ohms should be good.

Once vacuumed up a burning cigarette bud by accident, vacuum caught fire in a spectacular way.
    Whatever

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Vacuum cleaner

Speaking of vacuum's static taking out boards, etc. Any old timers remember the analog Sharp 800 series, SF811, 820,etc. Anytime you would vac out copier you would blow out these tiny little sensor bulbs. A real PIA to replace! Don't miss those 4-6 hour PM's. If I recall you use to dump toner hopper on PM and put fresh toner in, polish Cadium Sulfide drums with "Pikel" polish, then use another a harsh chemical (forget name) to scrape baked on toner off fuser rollers with a popsicle stick! Lucky to be alive after using all those cancer causing chemicals!!! Plus the CDS drums were deadly by themselves but they didn't tell us that. Cadium is bad and why they changed, first went to selinum (with aresnic) then organic now! Ahhh the good ole days.....