Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Xerox 7525 Blank Screen and Energy Saver Button Enumerated Upon Start-up

Hi,
    I have a xerox 7525 that has worked like a champ for a few years now. Unfortunately, when I turn it on, it does not give me the green start-up screen, rather it makes a click (everything flashes for less than a full second) and goes straight to a black screen where the energy saver button is lit, and stays lit and the only other thing occurring is a single fan from the power board running.
    Also complicating things are the facts (1) I do not have an SD card for it (it is flashing a green light and a different green and red light stay enumerated; (2) the LED on the side is not showing any error code or anything at all; and (3) this could have occurred during an attempted software update, but my co-worker is not entirely sure but mentioned he was starting to attempt to update the firmware via the machine's IP address and then turned it off because it became non-responsive but believes it was non-responsive for a very long time first and that nothing was occurring via the potential update.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this or who has any ideas whatsoever. Two other things, (1) I did test the backup battery and the volts were good on it, so I don't think its the backup battery, and (2) I did try an altboot, but I used a usb with an led on it, and it does nothing and I tried it on the front and back of the machine (along with folder names of "altboot", "AltBoot", and "ALTBOOT", along with FORCED_UPGRADE txt file without the txt name in the file and the Xerox software).

I can post pictures or videos if needed, but the forum was giving me a hard time with them.

Thanks again to anyone with any ideas!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Xerox 7525 Blank Screen and Energy Saver Button Enumerated Upon Start-up

Quote Originally Posted by ksujw View Post
    Hi,
    I have a xerox 7525 that has worked like a champ for a few years now. Unfortunately, when I turn it on, it does not give me the green start-up screen, rather it makes a click (everything flashes for less than a full second) and goes straight to a black screen where the energy saver button is lit, and stays lit and the only other thing occurring is a single fan from the power board running.
    Also complicating things are the facts (1) I do not have an SD card for it (it is flashing a green light and a different green and red light stay enumerated; (2) the LED on the side is not showing any error code or anything at all; and (3) this could have occurred during an attempted software update, but my co-worker is not entirely sure but mentioned he was starting to attempt to update the firmware via the machine's IP address and then turned it off because it became non-responsive but believes it was non-responsive for a very long time first and that nothing was occurring via the potential update.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this or who has any ideas whatsoever. Two other things, (1) I did test the backup battery and the volts were good on it, so I don't think its the backup battery, and (2) I did try an altboot, but I used a usb with an led on it, and it does nothing and I tried it on the front and back of the machine (along with folder names of "altboot", "AltBoot", and "ALTBOOT", along with FORCED_UPGRADE txt file without the txt name in the file and the Xerox software).
    I can post pictures or videos if needed, but the forum was giving me a hard time with them.

Thanks again to anyone with any ideas!
    what size USB?
    what format?
    ALTBOOT in root of usb?
    was the unit OFF before inserting USB?

do you have a service manual?
    did you follow proper procedures?

Technician

I tried two USBs. One was 1gb (700mb space left on drive) and the other was 8gb (lots of room there as only the altboot was on it). I use a Mac primarily, they were formatted to MS-DOS (FAT 32) using disk utility. The only folder in the USBs was the altboot folder (I think that is the root). Xerox was off before inserting USB.

I do have a service manual. I believe I followed proper procedures. But, then again, I am looking at a large plastic brick now. I will try to put another thread with a short 3 sec video of what the plastic brick looks like immediately after this post if it would help.

Thanks for your suggestions so far, I genuinely appreciate them.

Technician

Link to video:YouTube

I'm sure you know what blank screen looks like, and it is just the power saver button that is lit up.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    what size USB?
    what format?
    ALTBOOT in root of usb?
    was the unit OFF before inserting USB?

do you have a service manual?
    did you follow proper procedures?
    Thanks so much for the reply. My current LED on the side of the machine starts up now and only displays a number 2. The service manual says a number 2 error code is a "system error code." After removing the memory modules several times and powering on and off, the manual then says if the problem persists to replace the "system memory module" and if that didn't cure it, to replace the "SBC PWBA." Honestly, I'm not sure what the manual means by system memory module (I think this is the ram) or SBC PWBA (but I think this one is the entire motherboard).

Based upon this info, does this give you any other ideas?
    Also, recall, I believe this error may have occurred during a faulty software upgrade if that makes any sense to anyone. It appears there is room for a micro sd card (it def will not fit a normal sd card bc I tried) on the side and I have seen people talk about being able to insert an sd card during these types of issues and altbooting the machine. I have had zero success with any altboot, and I have tried several times and believe I am trying to do the altboot correctly per other forum posts and the service manual.

Thanks again to anyone who may have any suggestions!

Thanks so much for the reply. My current LED on the side of the machine starts up now and only displays a number 2. The service manual says a number 2 error code is a "system error code." After removing the memory modules several times and powering on and off, the manual then says if the problem persists to replace the "system memory module" and if that didn't cure it, to replace the "SBC PWBA." Honestly, I'm not sure what the manual means by system memory module (I think this is the ram) or SBC PWBA (but I think this one is the entire motherboard).

Based upon this info, does this give you any other ideas?
    Also, recall, I believe this error may have occurred during a faulty software upgrade if that makes any sense to anyone. It appears there is room for a micro sd card (it def will not fit a normal sd card bc I tried) on the side and I have seen people talk about being able to insert an sd card during these types of issues and altbooting the machine. I have had zero success with any altboot, and I have tried several times and believe I am trying to do the altboot correctly per other forum posts and the service manual.

Thanks again to anyone who may have any suggestions!
    Ok.. well try pulling memory dimms ( powered off )
    Take a pencil eraser and gently clean the gold fingers on DIMM.
    Also inspect the slots.. could be debris in there.
    Check HDD for operation.
    Last option ( always for me ) is replacing BDS.
    You could try a ' loaner/robbed ' board.
    Xerox will say BOARD right away, MOST customers will NOT go for that since electrical parts once installed cannot be returned.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Technician

Ok.. well try pulling memory dimms ( powered off )
    Take a pencil eraser and gently clean the gold fingers on DIMM.
    Also inspect the slots.. could be debris in there.
    Check HDD for operation.
    Last option ( always for me ) is replacing BDS.
    You could try a ' loaner/robbed ' board.
    Xerox will say BOARD right away, MOST customers will NOT go for that since electrical parts once installed cannot be returned.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks again for the suggestions. I checked the hdd, it seems good. I cleaned the DIMM with an eraser and did my best to see if there was any debris in the slots. Unfortunately, when I put the memory back in, the machine went back to starting in the blank screen with the energy button lit up, BUT, I no longer received any LED on the side again. So, I think I may be out of luck. I'm not sure what to do and starting to think I may be in over my head.

I was leaning towards replacing the 2gb Ram, but now I'm not so sure and I'd hate to get the board only to not need it.

Thanks again!

Thanks again for the suggestions. I checked the hdd, it seems good. I cleaned the DIMM with an eraser and did my best to see if there was any debris in the slots. Unfortunately, when I put the memory back in, the machine went back to starting in the blank screen with the energy button lit up, BUT, I no longer received any LED on the side again. So, I think I may be out of luck. I'm not sure what to do and starting to think I may be in over my head.

I was leaning towards replacing the 2gb Ram, but now I'm not so sure and I'd hate to get the board only to not need it.

Thanks again!
    DO THE ALTBOOT FIRST!!!!! IT'S NOT RAM NOR HDD at this point! Sysytem files get screwed real easy if these machines are not powered down properly!

altboot should take around an hour or less.

Technician

DO THE ALTBOOT FIRST!!!!! IT'S NOT RAM NOR HDD at this point! Sysytem files get screwed real easy if these machines are not powered down properly!

altboot should take around an hour or less.
    I tried the altboot, but I'm using thumbdrives that have leds on them and they are showing no activity whatsoever. Plus, cleaning the system memory and the DIMM slots, somehow put me back a step where I no longer have an LED on the side of the machine. I'm concerned this is a plastic brick now. But, hey, I'm a new guy, so what do I know?

Sorry to jump in.

I really doubt your flash-drives are compatible with your device.
    Try to use an older flashdrive with a max capacity of 2GB.
    Also format that flashdrive on a PC, not on a MAC. Probably doesn't make a difference but it sure rules out an option to failure.

The LED on the flashdrive will only light up for a short period of time, since the firmware file will be copied to the harddrive on boot-up of the Xerox device.

After that copy, your flash drive won't be used anymore (no LED), but leave it in there unless your are requested to remove it!