Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

Re: Xerox work center 7556 wont scan or print but will copy now

Yes, very much like reinstalling Windows on a PC vs doing an update. And thank you, lines 6 & 10 bring joy to my life. ;-)

I highly recommend you replace the HDD. 2.5” SATA. Have seen many of these die. The OEM drive is Chinese crap, give it to someone you don’t like... after you wipe it of course. Seriously, just put the cheapest one you can find. I think you can get away with like a 160gb or so drive. I don’t remember what they come with.

The other very important thing I forgot to mention... the heat sink under the fan. Pluck out the two little white pins that hold it in place (DON’T LOSE THE SMALL SPRINGS), and clean and re-thermal paste it. That paste dries out and turns to dust. It’s nasty stuff so if you’ve never done it before, you’re in for a real treat. Use alcohol (not the good stuff) and a straight blade to gently clean the surfaces before re-pasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

perfect. yea, you have to babysit. im going to go out Friday as tomorrow i have a full day.

hope to get the proper file on USB and be ready.

i will see if i can find a sim routine to check HDD and i will also check that fan.

i guess if there a problem with the ? SD card.

i will likely post another followup question later or Friday.

thank you so much for all the useful help. i really appreciate it.

I hope you guys have a very nice day, Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    hey Jim.. as for what to do while waiting? I go to the bathroom and jerk my dick while thinking of the hot chick @ reception desk...

naw just kidding ...

really not much to do.. but I wouldn't leave the machine.. I've seen techs from other companies go to their car ( tools etc left there ) end users don't see any progress so they yank the power cord.. turn it back on and get pissed cuz it doesn't work.

I ALWAYS put a note on the machine "Do NOT Touch.. update in progress" if I have to step away from it.

Depending on the office.. I just break out my phone and play some TWD " No Man's Land"

some users say " you're playing games? can't you CLEAN the machine while waiting?" " No Ma'am I cannot open any doors/covers or I will have to start all over again! Is that what you want me to do? "

NO NO NO !

You animal, lol!

I’m a War Robots addict myself. Xerox work center 7556 wont scan or print but will copy now

I definitely agree about leaving a BIG note if you’re going to step away... whether to use the restroom ((for whatever purpose) lol!) or to sit in your car. Last time I stayed right there and tried to organize the files in my mess of a laptop. Do whatever.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Xerox work center 7556 wont scan or print but will copy now

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post

You animal, lol Xerox work center 7556 wont scan or print but will copy now

I definitely agree about leaving a BIG note if you’re going to step away... whether to use the restroom ((for whatever purpose) lol!) or to sit in your car. Last time I stayed right there and tried to organize the files in my mess of a laptop. Do whatever. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn BaconSteve you found me out.. and here I thought I had that soo well hidden!

Hi Guys, a quick question followup.

i have now the heat sink paste, i didn't find a HDD at several places, but bought a 2.5 inch SSD 120 GB solid state drive.
    does that sound like it will work if i need it??

also, with the Altboot file, 616540v2.dlm which is only 42.8 KB, but the WorkCentre_7500-system-sw#06112122418803#.DLM is 316 MB.

43KB don't sound like anything??

should i be using the 316MB file for this?

and is the HDD holding the file and perimeters on the machine, or just used for large print and duplex jobs?? i haven't changed a HDD / SSD in a Xerox, only Ricoh but its been a while. do i need to format? and i want to be safe than sorry, as i don't have the Xerox laptop or service software. so its better for me to say i cant, than fiddle and now its totally down and they have to call Xerox.

i figure i will recheck the SBC fan, remove the heat sink and reapply paste. i can do the USB altboot, but don't want to regret going there.

thank you very much, Jim

My advice would be... if you feel like you’re in over your head, and you don’t have back-up, then maybe it’s time to bail.

I haven’t tried an SSD in one of these but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

The HDD/SSD holds the operating system, part of it is used for document buffering/processing etc... as well.

The fresh paste can’t hurt, but I’d be REALLY surprised if that’s all it was. I’ve seen the processor overheat and cause the machine to slow down to the point of locking up but... “won’t copy or scan” was the exact symptom of the last altboot I performed.

There are files I add to the altboot folder to do a thorough refresh, but I didn’t include that in the hopes that a regular altboot would preserve the settings and prevent you spending a lot of time reprogramming in the event of a bad clone file.

I agree the one file sounds too small. It may be a “bridge” or patch. If you can get into the web interface, try submitting it through the firmware update section. If it doesn’t like the file, it’ll just give an error to the effect of “incorrect file” or similar. In that case go with the larger file.

Ok, thank you BaconSteve. that spells it out clearly for me. i will go and see what it actually does or not. check the fan. i will take your advice. i don't have enough experience on this, and i feel lately i have lost my younger edge.

and this one is a 30 mile round trip to downtown outskirts.
    started at X in early 79.

Have a great day, Jim

. Here’s how well the factory thermal paste is applied. I don’t even know how this thing (7225) has been working. The paste is barely touching the chip! You don’t want it oozing everywhere like toothpaste but it should actually touch both surfaces, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    . Here’s how well the factory thermal paste is applied. I don’t even know how this thing (7225) has been working. The paste is barely touching the chip! You don’t want it oozing everywhere like toothpaste but it should actually touch both surfaces, lol!

Hi bacon Steve, good news, the machine was Dead for the customer to, I did the past, and it looked like yours, stuff was like a sticker. Then did the alt not, then it did the encripting, . It's still doing it's thinking.
    I want able to even probably out a config page and I tried several times.

Wishing now I had tried to see if I could log on to it from web console and get customer settings, but, oh it's ready.

Never printer a config.
    Now I am trying again to print it manually and it did.

I am wondering how top replace the SSD HDD.
    Do I swape it and just do another altboot??

Oh, it's still going thru another software upgrade. 30 minutes into the altboot now.