Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

Re: Xerox work center 7556 wont scan or print but will copy now

Lol, good times! Yes, no need to format the drive. Just plug it in and perform the altboot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Wow, you guys know your stuff.

Wish I'd have known about plug and play on the hard drive.
    I am leary that it's old but I thought of it has all the system software on it and I wasnt able to make a clone, I'd be having more trouble.

Turned out well all in all. Since it was un usable, it didn't hurt to try.

It wouldn't even print a config prior.

So the alt boot seems to have resolved the issue, and it saved the settings. So there printing now.

I am not able to get into the web console entering the printers ip address info the browser.

Their on a server so maybe that's it?

Thanks so much guys, you gave me back so much encouragement that I really needed now.
    Been a hard month.

Thank you so much and I owe you, Jim. Have a great day and evening.

Ha! Glad it worked out well for you Jim. It’s one of those procedures that sounds more daunting than what it can be. Although, a lot can go wrong and things can go south as well.

I’m an older tech too. Been in this business for 30+ years. And I’ve certainly had days/weeks/months where I felt that everything I touched turned to shit. It’s nice when things turn back around :-)

Great job, sir. Take care.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

thanks Brother.

like last week, i get to a new customer with a Sharp AR M257 for jamming and been sitting for several years.

i right off see the exit tray flapper bent and folded blocking the paper path and a jam there.

and i broke the cardinal rule, not making a test copy before touching it.

looking into the fuser and didn't want it to seem that easy, i open the fuser lower claw guide and proceed to scrap clumps of toner from them, as obviously,,, that could cause jams. after i was almost done, crouched down into this weird office space where the room has a wall that is like a triangle with the machine crammed in there, i suddenly hear this CRACK, and yep, why would i be putting weight onto a plastic part that is mounted to a hot fuser.

thankfully the man didn't come back to watch every move i made until after that happened.

so, as we pros do, we carry on like nothing happened, and as he comes back, i explain that fuser parts get brittle and crack and we repair them.

out comes the super glue pro gel and there you have it.

so, a dumb question... this machine crashing that takes an "Altboot" to fix, is that caused by the system software getting corrupt somehow? i mean, if it worked for years, why would it stop. does Xerox like cell phone and computer companies, insist upon updates which overload the device??

anyway, just wondering.

have a great night and thank you so much, Jim

Lol, so been there! Funny you mention Sharp. I was a Sharp tech for most of my career but haven’t touched one in about 10 years.

Yep. Lots of theories on how/why they corrupt, but they just do. The one thing I do know is it seems unavoidable. For a minute it seemed like turning off “immediate disk overwright” would prevent this... then not. There’s been other features and firmware updates up the wazoo. Eventually, it crashes no matter what you do, and you do an altboot. Definitely some machines more than others and definitely not all machines. So it hit-n-miss. Like other failure tendencies, the more you see it, the better you get at dialing it back in. Just when you think you have it all figured out... curve ball to the nuts.