Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Xerox work center 7556 wont scan or print but will copy now

Hi guys,
    this machine will copy, but now wont print or scan even locally to a USB. rebooting isn't helping now.

last April i replaced the SBC processor cooling fan for not working and taking a long time to reboot.

i remember some notes about possibly needing updating update firmware, but it sounded like a pain.

does anyone know this machine and this trouble?

thank you very much, Jim

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

Re: Xerox work center 7556 wont scan or print but will copy now

If you feel that upgrading the firmware sounds like a pain... you might as well shit-can it. It most likely needs an HDD and an altboot. It could be worse, it could need an SBC board and the SD card which by the way is a very specific SD with a proprietary Xerox file on it. After all of that, you get to reconfigure all the settings and re-enable any optional modules like the PS kit for example. Updating the firmware, if the machine is not too hosed to accept it, would be the very first thing to try at this point. Do it through the web interface, it’s simple. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    If you feel that upgrading the firmware sounds like a pain... you might as well shit-can it. It most likely needs an HDD and an altboot. It could be worse, it could need an SBC board and the SD card which by the way is a very specific SD with a proprietary Xerox file on it. After all of that, you get to reconfigure all the settings and re-enable any optional modules like the PS kit for example. Updating the firmware, if the machine is not too hosed to accept it, would be the very first thing to try at this point. Do it through the web interface, it’s simple. Good luck.

+1

but I WOULD try checking HHD and if that is OK

do an altboot.. really not difficult ..just time consuming ..

Hi, thanks for the great info.

i am looking for my notes on ALTboot.
    the Xerox site warned "it is highly recommended to consult with your Network or System Admin before performing any software (firmware) update. some updates may cause the machine to become non-complaint and cease to work as intended with the environment in which it is installed"

is it best to load the unzipped file onto a USB drive and insert it onto the left rear USB port??

what is the correct way to determine a bad HDD, listen to it, or try doing a 2 sided copy run?

Quote Originally Posted by tonerjockey View Post

the Xerox site warned "it is highly recommended to consult with your Network or System Admin before performing any software (firmware) update. some updates may cause the machine to become non-complaint and cease to work as intended with the environment in which it is installed"

*** IF the machine doesn't perform correctly, can it really fuck it up any more than it is?***

is it best to load the unzipped file onto a USB drive and insert it onto the left rear USB port??

***AltBoot has to have a certain file.. regular files will not work.. Please consult which ports to use**

what is the correct way to determine a bad HDD, listen to it, or try doing a 2 sided copy run?

** I think ( not positive ) there is a HDD check in Service Mode .. again refer to SM **
    I have broken down my answers to each question ** xxx **

1). Be prepared for a bumpy road ahead... if things go smoothly, bonus!

2). Disregard all the bs warnings about non-compliance blah blah blah for now unless you are in an military installation, in which case you should CYA and ask someone.

3) Print a config page if it will let you. Log in through Centreware (the web interface) and create a clone. This could save you a LOT of time later... and your ass.

4). Create a folder on your thumb drive and name it... ALTBOOT

5) Download the latest firmware from Xerox, unzip it, and place ONLY the ONE file that is firmware. Some of the downloads contain PDFs and older versions and what are called “bridge” versions, and/or patches. You don’t need any of that additional crap.

6) Make sure the machine is off. Decide whether you prefer to stick it in the front... or in the rear. Gentleman’s choice.

7). Stick it in. Power on, wait, nothing at this point happens quickly. After a few minutes you should see the screen change to the update screen with progress bars. Don’t start drinking yet. Eventually 45+ minutes maybe it will complete. You will be prompted to remove the thumb drive and press 0. Another 45+ minutes. Still not drinking time. It may reboot a few times.

8). After it’s ALLLLL done. Either set the old IP address, or set your laptop IP to a compatible IP of whatever the printer is currently. Crossover to it and install the clone you created in step 3.

9). Sometimes DNS info doesn’t seem to clone well so IF you’re scanning to email or SMB etc... double check your DNS info from the config page you printed also in step 3.

10). Drinking time. You earned it. Cheers.

ok. i have down loaded the
    File Download: 061.121.224.18803-General Release

• Filename WorkCentre_7500-system-sw_061.121.224.18803.zip
    • Version 061.121.224.18803
    • Date Oct 31, 2016
    • Size 316.3 MB

from Xerox site. it has several folders listed ad DLM within the zipped file.

from there i get a page with 3 folders

zip folder 101 kb
    a PDF document
    and WorkCenter_7500-system-sw#06511... DLM file 323,776KB.

within the zip file is 3 folders

616540v2.dlm 10kb
    616540v2_un.dlm 58kb
    and a PDF instructions

so, i am confused. it lists several ways, one thru the web interface, with system admin user and password.

the other with a USB, but the name of file has to be specific.

its an hour round trip and they close early. the customer is using a backup machine for now so it gives me more time to get my act together...

sorry i am not up to speed on this unit. Jim

The first DLM, not the “un” version. Honestly, I don’t recall seeing an “un” version but whatever. Use the other DLM.

Hi BaconSteve, i love your line 6.

ok, i like how you spelled it all out for me. it sounds like a super long waiting time. two 45 minute interludes, and still may have to reenter settings. what do you do durring that time?? sit in the car? or use the phone internet??

anyway i need to study your notes so i can envision what i need to do when i get here.

is ALTboot another term for reload firmware, or is it when the machine wont boot and this is like a back up disk on a computer when windows wont load?

they said after a half hour off, "its on and off. seems to work then just stops responding"

this is similar to the issue before i replaced the fan. i wonder if its bad. i will also check that, as the fan was a punny little china thing that seemed rather small for such an important job.

Jim

Hi BaconSteve, i love your line 6.
    ok, i like how you spelled it all out for me. it sounds like a super long waiting time. two 45 minute interludes, and still may have to reenter settings. what do you do durring that time?? sit in the car? or use the phone internet??
    anyway i need to study your notes so i can envision what i need to do when i get here.
    is ALTboot another term for reload firmware, or is it when the machine wont boot and this is like a back up disk on a computer when windows wont load?
    they said after a half hour off, "its on and off. seems to work then just stops responding"
    this is similar to the issue before i replaced the fan. i wonder if its bad. i will also check that, as the fan was a punny little china thing that seemed rather small for such an important job.
    Jim
    hey Jim.. as for what to do while waiting? I go to the bathroom and jerk my dick while thinking of the hot chick @ reception desk...

naw just kidding ...

really not much to do.. but I wouldn't leave the machine.. I've seen techs from other companies go to their car ( tools etc left there ) end users don't see any progress so they yank the power cord.. turn it back on and get pissed cuz it doesn't work.

I ALWAYS put a note on the machine "Do NOT Touch.. update in progress" if I have to step away from it.

Depending on the office.. I just break out my phone and play some TWD " No Man's Land"

some users say " you're playing games? can't you CLEAN the machine while waiting?" " No Ma'am I cannot open any doors/covers or I will have to start all over again! Is that what you want me to do? "

NO NO NO !