Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Versalink C405 causing ghosted images after 15-20 pages

I have replaced the fuser on this MFP but it has not solved the issue with ghosting after about 15 to 20 printed pages. I think the fuser roller temperature is not staying constant which makes this an intermittent issue. Does anyone have an idea of where I should go from here? After producing pages with ghosting issues it will print a few more good quality ones before it starts the ghosting over again.
    Thank you, in advance, for any ideas.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

How far apart is the ghost and the original? Pretty sure the 405 has a defect spacing printout that might help narrow it down. Could definitely be a drum cartridge as well. OEM or aftermarket supplies?

Edit: Also, did you replace the BTR that came in the fuser kit?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Versalink C405 causing ghosted images after 15-20 pages

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    How far apart is the ghost and the original? Pretty sure the 405 has a defect spacing printout that might help narrow it down. Could definitely be a drum cartridge as well. OEM or aftermarket supplies? Edit: Also, did you replace the BTR that came in the fuser kit?
    Steve, It would appear as many times as this user has posted/commented, he should know the basics.. maybe just a brain fart...

Fusers are only a part of a 'ghosting' problem...

yes we need the spacing of the original mage vs the 'ghost image' and yes could be drum, BTR,fuser .. the defect ruler or MM spacing would help us greatly!

Good Call!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Steve, It would appear as many times as this user has posted/commented, he should know the basics.. maybe just a brain fart...

Fusers are only a part of a 'ghosting' problem...

yes we need the spacing of the original mage vs the 'ghost image' and yes could be drum, BTR,fuser .. the defect ruler or MM spacing would help us greatly!

Good Call!
    Hi Phil, Happy Halloween Versalink C405 causing ghosted images after 15-20 pages
    Ya, sometimes it’s like pulling teeth to get good info... ok, most of the time. I had a customer the other day place a service call with a description of “not working”...
    I came damn close to just canceling the work order. I think I’ll make my signature here “help ME, help YOU”, lol not original but wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    Hi Phil, Happy Halloween Versalink C405 causing ghosted images after 15-20 pages
    Ya, sometimes it’s like pulling teeth to get good info... ok, most of the time. I had a customer the other day place a service call with a description of “not working”...
    I came damn close to just canceling the work order. I think I’ll make my signature here “help ME, help YOU”, lol not original but wtf.
    Yup that's why I sometimes end comment with:
    PhilB " The Dentist "
    Seems quite evident, newbies come in .. post right away without seatching this plethora of info we have here, nor do they read forum rules or have any savvy of the way it is done.
    GIMME GIMME GIMME. Versalink C405 causing ghosted images after 15-20 pagesVersalink C405 causing ghosted images after 15-20 pages

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dr. Phil, lol Versalink C405 causing ghosted images after 15-20 pages

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks for the help, but I have already determined that the ghosting is caused at the fuser... the fuser roller has picked up toner from the paper and relaid it back down. The fuser must not be staying up to temperature, but no errors are thrown. Since this happens intermittently, I was hoping someone out there had experienced it before and could say what they found. It's not a high capacity unit, so I doubt many have had the opportunity to work on one, but thank you for your efforts. Your constructive thoughts and ideas are always greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by sbtiti View Post
    Thanks for the help, but I have already determined that the ghosting is caused at the fuser... the fuser roller has picked up toner from the paper and relaid it back down. The fuser must not be staying up to temperature, but no errors are thrown. Since this happens intermittently, I was hoping someone out there had experienced it before and could say what they found. It's not a high capacity unit, so I doubt many have had the opportunity to work on one, but thank you for your efforts. Your constructive thoughts and ideas are always greatly appreciated!
    The service manual should have steps for boosting fuser temp (also slows feed of paper..allowing for better bonding of toner to page)

generic toner/supplies can also be the culprit in these cases.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thank you. I'll give that a try.