Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

developer unit life

Hello all
    Just calling on xerox techs field experience on life span of developer units in WC72xx machines. My experience is once they start pushing toner out and density drops on the near and far side the developer is finished. I have had varying success with refilling with new developer but sometimes it requires a new dev unit, something to do with the mag roller or doctor blade?

I try to save on throwing new parts on aging copiers when it's possible. My question, is there any method of improving the performance of old dev units or is it a lost cause and what parts usually fail.

Thanks

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    developer unit life

Re: developer unit life

I sandblast the dev roll.

Technician

Thanks Scarecrow
    Can you elaborate?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    developer unit life

Glenng, Years ago the Xerox 6200/6500 analog color used smooth dev rolls then came out with knurled rolls to improve solid area quality. The "roughness" seemed to "carry" the developer better. So on the wc123 and 73 series I rough up the dev roll by sandblasting, and I open up the drs (.030 on the 123, have to find our spec on the 73) and solid areas improve. Have not blasted a 72 series, and I should try it on a 78. The old 1025 developed a coating on the roll that had to be removed by either solvent or blasting. Drastic quality improvement. Your 72 series quality should improve by blasting the roll and checking the drs for equal spacing. I will check to see if it is adjustable and get back to you. Use a coarse grit for blasting. Play sand is a little fine, but it works.

GlennR

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Glenng, Years ago the Xerox 6200/6500 analog color used smooth dev rolls then came out with knurled rolls to improve solid area quality. The "roughness" seemed to "carry" the developer better. So on the wc123 and 73 series I rough up the dev roll by sandblasting, and I open up the drs (.030 on the 123, have to find our spec on the 73) and solid areas improve. Have not blasted a 72 series, and I should try it on a 78. The old 1025 developed a coating on the roll that had to be removed by either solvent or blasting. Drastic quality improvement. Your 72 series quality should improve by blasting the roll and checking the drs for equal spacing. I will check to see if it is adjustable and get back to you. Use a coarse grit for blasting. Play sand is a little fine, but it works.

GlennR
    Good to know I'm not the only one sandblasting mag rollers. In the field I use the brown industrial 3M Scotchbrite.
    Whatever

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    developer unit life

It appears the WC 72 series drs is not adjustable, and the roll is knurled. The drs on my housing is .010 IB, .016 center, and .012 OB. Too narrow I think. The housing also appears to be a non trickle housing, which means the dev is not in the toner, and is replaced at drum replacement. If you think it's worth it, you may want to file the metal bar that sets the drs, and blast or solvent clean the dev roll. My roll looked ok, but the drs spacing would probably help. The dev may also be wearing out.

I used to scotchbrite the 3100 mag rolls....

Allan, What is RTFM?
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 1 Week Ago at 03:33 PM.