Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Need Help... The New Xerox Security Changes - Admin and Factory Reset Changed??

Dear Fellow Techs,

I have some unique challenges, on two separate copiers, but both seem related. One is a Xerox 7845 and the other a Xerox 5955. Both no longer accept the Admin - 1111 log in, and when I go to "Diagnostic Mode" the "Security" tab on one will not let me get rid of maintenance controls by Xerox. Tells me I need to call with the serial number and the codes given so they can turn them off. That's the WC5955.

On the WC7845, I can't even see the Security Tab under Diagnostics.

My questions are:

1.) how can I do a factory reset on these machines?

2.) will that set them back to their original default state without the Xerox Service controls on them? Or is there something else I must do?

3.) Moving forward, I've heard the new password is going to be the serial number of the machine? Is that true of any SPAR update, or is that just new machines being sold now, and older models will still have the standard username password combo?

To illustrate more, for those interested in the actual challenge I am facing... On the Xerox 5955, I can print, but when I go to copy, it asks for a code, and won't let me copy. In the GUI interface, it looks like Xerox's support is turned on, but there's no place in the GUI now for me to turn it off. Also, I cannot reach it in admin mode, or diagnostic mode. Pretty strange.

The Xerox 7845 also show that it's in Xerox's care, but it won't let me log into the admin mode, nor will it let me log into the diagnostic mode and see the "security" tab I'm used to seeing..

I sincerely appreciate any help you offer. Thank you!

Chris

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Need Help... The New Xerox Security Changes - Admin and Factory Reset Changed??

UPDATE: After finding a way to clear the NVM, I still cannot get the password to change on the Xerox WorkCentre 7845. For some reason, even with a complete wipe, the password is still not coming up as the original default password. Can someone please help me better understand where other points of service mode, or other levels of service, might possibly hold the password from being changed back to factory default??

This machine was previously leased by an organization that would definitely want to keep its security high. I picked it up from one of our Wholesalers in Swedesboro, NJ and now I can't wipe the password... Again, I sincerely appreciate anyone who has experienced similar and found a solution. Thank you!

Angry Re: Need Help... The New Xerox Security Changes - Admin and Factory Reset Changed??

As far as I know, the new California law (stupid, I know), calls for changes made in 'insecure' passwords to be changed to a more secure manner. So when the machine is force altbooted with newest firmware, or the machine is factory reset with the latest firmware, the 'new California law' takes effect. The change is the the admin password default is now changed to the MACHINE'S SERIAL NUMBER. that can be easily obtained from the configuration page. It took me a whole half day to figure this out. Infuriating, I know.

Cheers, hope this helps.

Re: Need Help... The New Xerox Security Changes - Admin and Factory Reset Changed??

If the previous operator changed the admin code, it can be reset by an admin reset code.
    If you provide the serial number and current total meter reading, I can generate a code that will reset the password.