Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Xerox docucolor 240 Fiery X3eTY doesnt seem to work?

Hi guys, Happy Friday 13th.

this box copies fine. the customer bought it and the fiery doesn't seem to work. their IT person said he plugged a monitor into the fiery VGA port, but it says something about it only shows a boot kernel.

is that VGA (D sub) port on the fiery supposed to be for a monitor, and will it give a menu or startup settings??

the IT person set it up with the existing IP address shown in boot up, and downloaded the driver software, but the computer doesn't recognize it.
    i am thinking that maybe the HDD is gone. if i replace that, would i need the Fiery startup disk set to use it??

i also see that there is an old post here from ? 2015 that a Toshiba Fiery is the same and cheaper. has anyone verified that?

thank you for any input or advice.

I hope you all have a great weekend, Jim.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Xerox docucolor 240 Fiery X3eTY doesnt seem to work?

You need to check for bad hdd, then reinstall the Fiery sytem software.
    On top of the Fiery cage is white label with 3 serial numbers printed on it.
    Make photo of that label and post here to know what software version you will need.
    I dont think the Toshiba Fiery works on Xerox machine.
    EFI makes personalized Fiery for every copiers company.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonerjockey View Post
    Hi guys, Happy Friday 13th.

this box copies fine. the customer bought it and the fiery doesn't seem to work. their IT person said he plugged a monitor into the fiery VGA port, but it says something about it only shows a boot kernel.

is that VGA (D sub) port on the fiery supposed to be for a monitor, and will it give a menu or startup settings??

the IT person set it up with the existing IP address shown in boot up, and downloaded the driver software, but the computer doesn't recognize it.
    i am thinking that maybe the HDD is gone. if i replace that, would i need the Fiery startup disk set to use it??

i also see that there is an old post here from ? 2015 that a Toshiba Fiery is the same and cheaper. has anyone verified that?

thank you for any input or advice.

I hope you all have a great weekend, Jim.
    This controller is not meant to have a monitor, and will only display POST and BIOS information. Once you get to the "Booting the kernel" all output to the VGA port is over. That is normal.

Fierys are dedicated devices. A Fiery is designed and made for a _Specific_ copier, and that's that. (Sometimes there are a couple models, a low end and a high end, but they are still dedicated to the model machine they were intended for, and nothing else.) There is no such thing as a "Toshiba Fiery" for a Xerox machine. They may have been referring to a Toshiba HARD DISK, as opposed to buying a replacement hard disk from Xerox, but that is just a plain hard disk. Most of the components of the Fiery are commodity computer components. If the hard drive was gone (you can just look and see if it is there or not...) you will need to replace it obviously and then you need to re-install the Fiery software on it, which you will need to procure.

Just a reminder that the DocuColor 250 is almost 20 YEARS OLD... Everything about using it with a modern OS is going to have complications. And on a similar note, if you do have to get a replacement hard disk for it, you're going to need to find a PATA one. These things are so old they're pre-SATA.

Best of luck. The engine itself is still solid, provided it is in good shape, but the software/controller are so old it will be an uphill climb unless you are very technical and experienced servicing Xerox machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    This controller is not meant to have a monitor, and will only display POST and BIOS information. Once you get to the "Booting the kernel" all output to the VGA port is over. That is normal.

Fierys are dedicated devices. A Fiery is designed and made for a _Specific_ copier, and that's that. (Sometimes there are a couple models, a low end and a high end, but they are still dedicated to the model machine they were intended for, and nothing else.) There is no such thing as a "Toshiba Fiery" for a Xerox machine. They may have been referring to a Toshiba HARD DISK, as opposed to buying a replacement hard disk from Xerox, but that is just a plain hard disk. Most of the components of the Fiery are commodity computer components. If the hard drive was gone (you can just look and see if it is there or not...) you will need to replace it obviously and then you need to re-install the Fiery software on it, which you will need to procure.

Just a reminder that the DocuColor 250 is almost 20 YEARS OLD... Everything about using it with a modern OS is going to have complications. And on a similar note, if you do have to get a replacement hard disk for it, you're going to need to find a PATA one. These things are so old they're pre-SATA.

Best of luck. The engine itself is still solid, provided it is in good shape, but the software/controller are so old it will be an uphill climb unless you are very technical and experienced servicing Xerox machines.

Thanks caffeine, that really spells it all out very nicely.
    This is a docucolor 240, but I didn't realize it was that old.

Your info is very helpful.
    I will see if they ended up with the software for it when they got it.
    And if so, I will see if a replacement HDD resolves the issue.

But glad to know that there vga Port isn't to have another screenb option.

I wonder why there's ports on things when there is no benefit for a non engineer.

I your you have a very nice evening, Jim

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonerjockey View Post
    Thanks caffeine, that really spells it all out very nicely.
    This is a docucolor 240, but I didn't realize it was that old.

I wonder why there's ports on things when there is no benefit for a non engineer.
    240 and 250 are the same machine, introduced at the same time, differentiated only by print speed, which is controlled by software. The hardware is identical.

The motherboard (and everything else) is essentially just commodity computer parts, like I mentioned. The motherboard is a standard ATX style motherboard, and they generally come with all those ports already. It wouldn’t really make sense for them to engineer their own custom computer components from scratch, that’s not the business they’re in.

Technician

Hello,

Just some info that hopefully help you out.

You can realize if the fiery is working by presing the all services button (silver button on copier keyboard), by doing this you should see on the copier screen three services buttons copy, network scanning and programing initially only the copy button will be enabled the other two will enable as soon as the fiery is ready it normally take about three to five minutes to get ready.

When you turn on the copier you can look at the fiery display it will go increasing values from 25 then 33 then 42 and 66 (all these values are POST tests, then 75 here it will detect the hard drive, if no hard drive is detected then the display will go to FF, if the HD is found then it will continue to 96 then FF for a short instance and finally it will stay at 00, meaning that the OS is starting. At this time it will take 3 to 5 minutes to boot the OS and start the print server software and will enable the rest of the services (network scanning and programming). Once the fiery is ready it will print a start up page (If enabled) in that page you can see the network settings, make sure the computer you are trying to connect is at the same network configuration (check network mask and default gateway).

Here's a few things to check:

The fiery has two small dip switches just below the display, these switches should be to the off position, check if they are at the ON position, if they are at ON it will show FF at the display as soon as is powered on (The ON position is for software loading and will prevent the fiery to start normally). If they are ON, poower off, then flip the switches OFF and then power on.

A failling software will turn the fiery display from 00 to FF, if this is the case then you will need a software reload.

If the fiery stays at 00 but then shuts down by itself after five minutes, this means that the fiery didn't connect to the copier, (bad connection between fiery and copier).

hope any of these helps, best regards.

thank you mercadoven ,

this is really great info. i will get back and see what i can determine.

thank you so much.
    i hope you have a very nice day, Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by mercadoven View Post
    Hello,

Just some info that hopefully help you out.

You can realize if the fiery is working by presing the all services button (silver button on copier keyboard), by doing this you should see on the copier screen three services buttons copy, network scanning and programing initially only the copy button will be enabled the other two will enable as soon as the fiery is ready it normally take about three to five minutes to get ready.

When you turn on the copier you can look at the fiery display it will go increasing values from 25 then 33 then 42 and 66 (all these values are POST tests, then 75 here it will detect the hard drive, if no hard drive is detected then the display will go to FF, if the HD is found then it will continue to 96 then FF for a short instance and finally it will stay at 00, meaning that the OS is starting. At this time it will take 3 to 5 minutes to boot the OS and start the print server software and will enable the rest of the services (network scanning and programming). Once the fiery is ready it will print a start up page (If enabled) in that page you can see the network settings, make sure the computer you are trying to connect is at the same network configuration (check network mask and default gateway).

Here's a few things to check:

The fiery has two small dip switches just below the display, these switches should be to the off position, check if they are at the ON position, if they are at ON it will show FF at the display as soon as is powered on (The ON position is for software loading and will prevent the fiery to start normally). If they are ON, poower off, then flip the switches OFF and then power on.

A failling software will turn the fiery display from 00 to FF, if this is the case then you will need a software reload.

If the fiery stays at 00 but then shuts down by itself after five minutes, this means that the fiery didn't connect to the copier, (bad connection between fiery and copier).

hope any of these helps, best regards.
    Hi,

I have a similar issue but the the fiery just comes up with error code 'b0' at startup and stays in that state. Network Scanning stays greyed out and can no longer print to it. Is this a software reload too or something else? Is there any way to bypass the fiery by connecting a network cable directly to the printer so I can print in the meantime as a temporary fix? Any help would be appreciated, this printer's been a life saving, until now.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Hi,

I have a similar issue but the the fiery just comes up with error code 'b0' at startup and stays in that state. Network Scanning stays greyed out and can no longer print to it. Is this a software reload too or something else? Is there any way to bypass the fiery by connecting a network cable directly to the printer so I can print in the meantime as a temporary fix? Any help would be appreciated, this printer's been a life saving, until now.
    Oh ,hello ,just had the same issue some time back but it ended up being faulty ram check all the component.