Technician

Workcentre 3550 HELP metered Toner when it shouldn't be

Thank you for looking at my problem.

I have a client that called us saying the toner they purchased (not through us) comes up with an invalid cartridge error and that they cannot use the machine.

On examination of the cartridge - it is a genuine Workcentre 3550 cartridge - however on the box it says Metered Print Cartridge and the code on the box is 106R01527 and the sticker on the actual cartridge also lists this code. - However the 106R01527 code has been covered with an adhesive label with the code 106R02335 printed on it.

So i assume they have bought this cartridge online probably from ebay and now the machine may have gone into metered mode. After market cartridges of which they have a couple also now come up with the invalid cartridge error.

So my question is how easy is it for the machine to be factory reset and if someone has the procedure for the reset i would be greatly appreciative.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Workcentre 3550 HELP  metered Toner when it shouldn't be

Re: Workcentre 3550 HELP metered Toner when it shouldn't be

I just usually call into Xerox, give them the serial number and a page count, and they send me a snippet that resets the machine back to "Neutral"
    (Will then set to whatever cartridge is first put in).

I have heard that a "Altboot" with the "FORCED_UPGRADE" and "DISABLE_DATA_BACKUP" with "No Cartridge" in the machine will reset the "Sold / Metered" setting back to neutral.

Let us know how it turns out

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

My friend. They bought wrong toner cartridge so it's neither machine nor your fault.
    They need to buy sold not metered cartridge.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Workcentre 3550 HELP  metered Toner when it shouldn't be

ding them with a HEAVY bill when you fix it and tell them... " Do it again and I won't be back to fix it" and then give them the pricing for your CORRECT toner replacements.

stupid customers trying to " save some money "

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
    I just usually call into Xerox, give them the serial number and a page count, and they send me a snippet that resets the machine back to "Neutral"

I have heard that a "Altboot" with the "FORCED_UPGRADE" and "DISABLE_DATA_BACKUP" with "No Cartridge" in the machine will reset the "Sold / Metered" setting back to neutral.

Xerox here is not that accommodating. They want to send their tech out to do it.

When you talk about the Altboot - i assume you mean the Fuji Xerox diagnostic software. At this stage i cannot even get in manually into diagnostic mode because of the cartridge error.

Any further suggestions would be warmly received.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by rockdude View Post

just waiting for a new cartridge to arrive. However i am a little apprehensive about installing it as still not sure what mode the machine is in. Still can't find how to reset the machine to factory defaults. The cartridges are like $390.00 AUD.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ebulich View Post
    just waiting for a new cartridge to arrive. However i am a little apprehensive about installing it as still not sure what mode the machine is in. Still can't find how to reset the machine to factory defaults. The cartridges are like $390.00 AUD.
    If I am not wrong you should install 106R01530 or 106R01528 toner cartridge.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Jack79 View Post
    If I am not wrong you should install 106R01530 or 106R01528 toner cartridge.
    For Australia the cartridge i need is 106R02335 which i now have again the issue is not knowinf if the machine is in metered mode. So i still have the same dilemma, but thank you for your response.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ebulich View Post
    For Australia the cartridge i need is 106R02335 which i now have again the issue is not knowinf if the machine is in metered mode. So i still have the same dilemma, but thank you for your response.
    I did not work on this model but it looks like your machine is on sold plan and this is the reason why it not accepts metered toner. Check the sold cartridge instead of metered.
    I work on European machines so it might be different than in Australia.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Jack79 View Post
    I did not work on this model but it looks like your machine is on sold plan and this is the reason why it not accepts metered toner. Check the sold cartridge instead of metered.
    I work on European machines so it might be different than in Australia.
    I had to revert to the service manual and found how to reset the machine. Doing this seems to have corrected the problem. I put in an after market toner first and it accepted it without an issue.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.