Technician

Xerox 240/560 Lifespan

Just wondering if anyone has experience on the average lifespan of these machines is before the encounter major issues. I have a Docucolor 242 with around 2.8 million page count, and a Color 560 with about 3.0 million page count. Both machines have been fairly reliable so far with no major issues or repairs.

I recently acquired a very nice V80 and was planning to get rid of the 242.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Xerox 240/560 Lifespan

Re: Xerox 240/560 Lifespan

Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has experience on the average lifespan of these machines is before the encounter major issues. I have a Docucolor 242 with around 2.8 million page count, and a Color 560 with about 3.0 million page count. Both machines have been fairly reliable so far with no major issues or repairs.

I recently acquired a very nice V80 and was planning to get rid of the 242.
    They need various obvious repairs as time goes on, but that falls more into the general category of maintenance in my opinion. I used to have several WorkCentre 7675's (which are basically hardware identical to the DocuColor 240/250/242/252 style) and I surpassed 10 million on all of them. I only got rid of them because I switched to a Fiery workflow and got new machines, not because they couldn't have kept on going. I've heard some models have hard coded print count limits. I know the 7675's didn't, or at least, it wasn't 10 million, but that doesn't mean others don't.

The Versant is an evolution of the 700/770/C75/J75 style machine which was itself an evolution of the 240/242/550/C60 style. So I see no reason why it wouldn't be just as capable of long life.

It's just all about the maintenance. If I were buying a used 560, I wouldn't think twice about a 3mil count on one. I'd expect a good price, but it wouldn't scare me a bit.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Xerox 240/560 Lifespan

Re: Xerox 240/560 Lifespan

Actually, one of my old 7675's I converted to a 7775 and attached a Fiery to it and hung onto it until fairly recently. (Yes, it is possible. Yes, you need some parts which if you don't get a good deal on them, it isn't "practical"...)

That was my first taste of "Fiery" and I liked it, so I then got some "real" Fiery machines (which actually connect with the SCSI cable rather than just the crossover ethernet cable by itself) and I'm much happier.

But when I converted that 7675 to a 7775, it was already over 10mil at that point. In its last days, I mainly used it as a B&W printer, because of course color machines do such a good job on B&W. And since I could calibrate it with a spectrophotometer, I was basically able to print CALIBRATED B&W at 75ppm, which is still pretty respectable for the mid-level production category.