Xerox J75 Waste toner leak

Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble with a magenta (waste) toner leak on a Xerox J75 on the back of the machine that falls and collects on the area close to the end of the fuser ... The tech comes in, cleans all the waste system related ducts/paths, the problem is resolved until it comes back again. (look at the attached photo) We usually discover the problem by opening and pulling out the transfer module/fuser. Opening the magenta drum waste door reveals a clogged outlet where it's supposed to look like the toner is flowing out.

Following the tech's advice, the Direct Pipe Assembly was replaced recently, hoping it would solve the issue.

I'm out of ideas and scared/tired of throwing money/parts at this issue. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks!

Jose Tamez
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Xerox J75 Waste toner leak

Has it reappeared since you replaced the Direct Pipe Assembly, or are you just worried that it WILL reappear? Replacing that unit would have been my first suggestion, especially if you'd already changed the drum. (Sounds like it has been going on long enough that you would have changed the drum anyway.)

With the Direct Pipe Assembly changed, there is very little left to cause the problem. The only thing that comes to mind is if maybe the gear that drives the Direct Pipe Assembly is not turning, therefore none of the augers on the assembly are rotating. If that were the case, though, ALL color would be backing up and making a mess and eventually causing a backup and clog inside each of the drums themselves.

Good luck.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jtamez View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble with a magenta (waste) toner leak on a Xerox J75 on the back of the machine that falls and collects on the area close to the end of the fuser ... The tech comes in, cleans all the waste system related ducts/paths, the problem is resolved until it comes back again. (look at the attached photo) We usually discover the problem by opening and pulling out the transfer module/fuser. Opening the magenta drum waste door reveals a clogged outlet where it's supposed to look like the toner is flowing out.

Following the tech's advice, the Direct Pipe Assembly was replaced recently, hoping it would solve the issue.

I'm out of ideas and scared/tired of throwing money/parts at this issue. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks!

Jose Tamez

waste toner is GREY

your picture shows pure magenta.. is the toner/dev unit leaking?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    waste toner is GREY

your picture shows pure magenta.. is the toner/dev unit leaking?
    I suspect it is waste toner, from the magenta drum, before it gets "merged" with the other various waste toners and becomes that tell-tale gray/rust color.

Even on a machine of this family design in good condition, there tends to be a bit of magenta where he has his, I think there is some kind of design flaw in the magenta drum waste -> Direct Pipe Assembly junction. But it shouldn't be anywhere near as much as what he has there.

Hopefully the new Direct Pipe Assembly took care of it for him. Any time I've had this, spill out in that exact specific location, that has 100% always been the issue and the fix.

Thank you all your your input.

We replaced the magenta drum motor and so far no leaking. My machine was randomly breaking magenta drums so I suspect a failing motor could have been the cause of waste toner not moving out from the drum. Strange...

Replacing two registration gears took care of the random duplex jamming / accordioning under the registration upper lever.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jtamez View Post
    Thank you all your your input.

We replaced the magenta drum motor and so far no leaking. My machine was randomly breaking magenta drums so I suspect a failing motor could have been the cause of waste toner not moving out from the drum. Strange...

Replacing two registration gears took care of the random duplex jamming / accordioning under the registration upper lever.
    Actually, what you are describing PERFECTLY describes a clogged up Direct Pipe Assembly... Like, 100%. The drum motor isn't going to have any impact on evacuating waste toner out of the drum, that is run by a totally different motor. And it is also unlikely that a drum motor would damage a drum, though if it were bad it could cause poor print quality. But not likely to physically HARM a new drum.

If you've replaced the Direct Pipe Assembly, you should have likely taken care of your problem. But the drum motor, though it may have alleviated OTHER problems, is not likely the source of any waste toner issue

Glad you also got the registration fixed.

Just keep an ear out for clicking out of the back of the machines, especially if you just cleaned your Direct Pipe Assembly rather than replacing it. If you did, the gear on it is weakened and even with the impacted toner gone, it may start grinding again. Which would cause another backup.

Good luck!

The direct pipe assembly was replaced as well, but I noticed the improvement after the magenta drum motor was replaced. I'm always scared to open the drawer and finding all the mess, but so far, so good.