Technician

Xerox wc 7556 speed mismatch

Hello friends
    I have a xerox machine wc 7556, it shows SIM card insertion is required and registers a fault code 341-371 in diagnostics. Is there a way I can bypass the SIM card to make the machine work. Is there an NVM value that I any change to match the speed.
    Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Xerox wc 7556 speed mismatch

Quote Originally Posted by Sema View Post
    Hello friends
    I have a xerox machine wc 7556, it shows SIM card insertion is required and registers a fault code 341-371 in diagnostics. Is there a way I can bypass the SIM card to make the machine work. Is there an NVM value that I any change to match the speed.
    Thanks
    Nope. What you are wanting to do is exactly what the SIM card is designed to prevent you from doing.

Xerox implemented the SIM cards to prevent people from changing the speed of their machine, since mechanically they are often the same. It is a security measure, designed specifically to NOT be able to bypass.

On a service contract, if the machine developed a problem, of course it would be taken care of under contract. Off-contract, unfortunately that type of error becomes much more of a problem, even when someone ISN'T trying to illegally bump up the speed of their machine. But then, if you are off-contract, Xerox isn't particularly concerned.

Sorry...

Senior Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    Nope. What you are wanting to do is exactly what the SIM card is designed to prevent you from doing.

Xerox implemented the SIM cards to prevent people from changing the speed of their machine, since mechanically they are often the same. It is a security measure, designed specifically to NOT be able to bypass.

On a service contract, if the machine developed a problem, of course it would be taken care of under contract. Off-contract, unfortunately that type of error becomes much more of a problem, even when someone ISN'T trying to illegally bump up the speed of their machine. But then, if you are off-contract, Xerox isn't particularly concerned.

Sorry...
    Hmm... I've got a Xerox WC7556 that works fine without the SIM card inserted. I have the SIM card saved in the paper drawer storage compartment, but it is not needed to be inserted. A Xerox tech (who was specifically trained on the WC7556) said the SIM is only necessary for initial machine config, then is no longer needed.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdvSysCon View Post
    Hmm... I've got a Xerox WC7556 that works fine without the SIM card inserted. I have the SIM card saved in the paper drawer storage compartment, but it is not needed to be inserted. A Xerox tech (who was specifically trained on the WC7556) said the SIM is only necessary for initial machine config, then is no longer needed.
    Right, if everything‘s working fine, you don’t need the SIM card. But if the machine is asking for the SIM card, it means something is reset and the data from the SIM needs to be restored to the NVRAM.

In the original poster’s question, the machine WAS demanding the SIM card be inserted, and they were asking if there’s a way around that. There isn’t.

If your machine is operating normally, it doesn’t need the SIM card and therefore isn’t asking for the SIM card. But! If you were to for whatever reason lose all values in your NVRAM, if you don’t have the SIM card you can’t restore it.

After a loss of NVRAM, or if you have to replace a major component and lose NVRAM, that’s the same process as the initial install when you use the SIM card. It sounds like the original posters machine is in that situation, and there is no way around it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I am not sure about 7556 but open tray 1 and there might be a cover to remove and under it you may have your sim card there. I have seen a lot of time when engineers store sim card there. It is also worth to check tray 2 too.