Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    What does 'PV' mean in HFSI list

I noticed in the HFSI list (for example for DC250), some items are 1 count per sheet fed, and others are 'on-time converted to PV'. I'm assuming PV relates to toner coverage and paper size, but was wondering what it stand for, and also how the conversion works.

Re: What does 'PV' mean in HFSI list

As per the Edoc for the DC 250 family, the HFSI table indicates the following:-

Counter || HFSI Name || Threshold || Replace following

954-830 Developer (Y) 1.5M - Developer Motor on-time converted to PV (Print Volume).
    954-822 1st BTR (Y) 600K - on-time converted to PV. 1 count per lettersize, 2 for larger sheet

Hope this help.

fugglefeet

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure it helps. For the 1st BTR it's pretty clear is 600K A4/LTR pages, or 300K A3/tabloid pages. But how does 'converted to PV' for the developer work then? Because normally, it won't last 1,5 million A4/LTR pages. My guess would be coverage plays an important part here too.

Hi Detonation,

That is a sad reality with the DC250 family regarding developer material. It was prone to being replaced prematurely due to coverage reasons. I personally think the figures stated in the Edoc is based on a set percentage coverage and doesn't account for instances of high coverage that can deplete the carrier capabilities in the developer material. I had an instance where a customer had a black ink dispenser failure on their C70. I resolved the problem by cleaning out and priming the dispenser. The following day I was back at the customer for light copies. The developer material had to be replaced. At this point I determined that the customer was printing an image with 100% coverage at 100% black. I suggested to the customer to run the job in batches and run other jobs in between this job to allow for the black developer material and toner to recover. The customer ignored the suggestion only to log a call for a black toner dispenser failure the following day. Again we explained to the customer that the machine wasn't designed to handle the coverage and toner usage. What eventually happened regarding this I don't know, as this was referred higher up to be handled.

fugglefeet

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Maybe you are right, but you'd imagine they would have adjusted it for the 252, 560 or C60, but they still have all developer at 1,5 million. I now have a C60 in stock, so I will run a test myself, checking the HFSI before and after running a 100% coverage A3 sheet.