Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Short on Altalink B8055 "Jam Behind Left Door"

I have a Altalink B8055 that is showing "Jam Behind Left Side Door". (There is "NO" jam behind door.)

I used diagnostics to check the seven sensors that can cause this error.

They all read "Low" (Normal) with the exception of the "Tray 2 tar" sensor.

I replaced that sensor and it still read "High".

I then replaced the IOXT PWB.

After parts replacement and rebooting of machine, updating software, etc., the machine came up in “offline mode”. (several minutes went by)

No error messages on the display, and the display said “Ready to start a session”.

However, after I went into tools and turned the machine from “Offline” to “Online” the machine got ready to print.

After it continued to warm up, and just before it was to print ( I mean right before.) There was a burning smell coming from the machine, and the left door jam error came on the display again.

I tracked the smell down to a blackened (burnt) component (hard to tell if it was resistor or diode) on the IOXT board.

Since the error message is now the same as I started, I believe there is a short somewhere causing that component to “fry” on the IOXT board.

I am also thinking of swapping out the “Fuser and Imaging Unit” although neither one looks bad.

If it still “blows” the IOXT maybe the ‘Main PWB” ?

Any input is appreciated.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Short on Altalink B8055 "Jam Behind Left Door"

Quote Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
    I have a Altalink B8055 that is showing "Jam Behind Left Side Door". (There is "NO" jam behind door.)

I used diagnostics to check the seven sensors that can cause this error.

They all read "Low" (Normal) with the exception of the "Tray 2 tar" sensor.

I replaced that sensor and it still read "High".

I then replaced the IOXT PWB.

After parts replacement and rebooting of machine, updating software, etc., the machine came up in “offline mode”. (several minutes went by)

No error messages on the display, and the display said “Ready to start a session”.

However, after I went into tools and turned the machine from “Offline” to “Online” the machine got ready to print.

After it continued to warm up, and just before it was to print ( I mean right before.) There was a burning smell coming from the machine, and the left door jam error came on the display again.

I tracked the smell down to a blackened (burnt) component (hard to tell if it was resistor or diode) on the IOXT board.

Since the error message is now the same as I started, I believe there is a short somewhere causing that component to “fry” on the IOXT board.

I am also thinking of swapping out the “Fuser and Imaging Unit” although neither one looks bad.

If it still “blows” the IOXT maybe the ‘Main PWB” ?

Any input is appreciated.
    This sounds like one of those "unique to that machine" type of problems that are the trickiest to hunt down... That's a bummer.

If you suspect that the original IOXT board was fried, and then the new board also got fried after you put it in, and therefore a short as you mentioned, I would trace the wires from that particular sensor carefully from the sensor itself back to where it connects. It could be that there is a pinch in the wire causing it to short to the metal frame where it is pinched (if it is piercing the wire insulation). I have seen those quite a few times cause problems, and they are difficult to track down because they tend to cause very wild problems that sometimes don't make a lot of sense.

Unfortunately, even if that is what is happening, it COULD be a different unrelated wire that is shorting, it just happens to be representing with the Tray 2 take away roller error.

Someone else may have a different take, but I don't think the imaging units or fuser are likely causes, unless you had JUST done something with one of them right before it happened the first time? Probably not, or you would have mentioned it, so I don't think they would be high on my suspect list.

Sorry I can't help more. I'm not strong on the non-Fuji models. But every time I have had an actual short-and-fry, it has been because of pinched wires or wire connectors which had come loose.

Good luck!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    This sounds like one of those "unique to that machine" type of problems that are the trickiest to hunt down... That's a bummer.

If you suspect that the original IOXT board was fried, and then the new board also got fried after you put it in, and therefore a short as you mentioned, I would trace the wires from that particular sensor carefully from the sensor itself back to where it connects. It could be that there is a pinch in the wire causing it to short to the metal frame where it is pinched (if it is piercing the wire insulation). I have seen those quite a few times cause problems, and they are difficult to track down because they tend to cause very wild problems that sometimes don't make a lot of sense.

Unfortunately, even if that is what is happening, it COULD be a different unrelated wire that is shorting, it just happens to be representing with the Tray 2 take away roller error.

Someone else may have a different take, but I don't think the imaging units or fuser are likely causes, unless you had JUST done something with one of them right before it happened the first time? Probably not, or you would have mentioned it, so I don't think they would be high on my suspect list.

Sorry I can't help more. I'm not strong on the non-Fuji models. But every time I have had an actual short-and-fry, it has been because of pinched wires or wire connectors which had come loose.

Good luck!
    Well it looks like I will never know for sure. The customer had me replace all the possible items I thought it might be. I know it had Blown the ITXO PWB, I also replaced the left door assembly complete, and I replaced the fuser, as well as the drum cartridge.

The machine turned on and is working fine.

Not sure which component was shorted, but will try supply items in another machine.

Thanks for input.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
    Well it looks like I will never know for sure. The customer had me replace all the possible items I thought it might be. I know it had Blown the ITXO PWB, I also replaced the left door assembly complete, and I replaced the fuser, as well as the drum cartridge.

The machine turned on and is working fine.

Not sure which component was shorted, but will try supply items in another machine.

Thanks for input.
    At least you got it up and running again.