Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Xerox 6605DN Toner Cartridge "metered" not working in standard un-metered machine - H

Hello folks: I have a Xerox 6605DN Xerox Copier that I bought new in 2017 and I need some help with the toner cartridges. I have a new 106R02239 "metered" Yellow toner cartridge that was given to me. When I install this new yellow "metered" cartridge, the screen says INVALID and doesn't work. Both the old and new cartridges look identical and both do fit into the machine but the new "metered" cartridge does NOT work. Can I make this "metered" cartridge work? Also, I did see one other difference between the cartridges. The old (original) yellow cartridge has only one (1) white gear on the LH side but the newer one has three (3) white gears on its LH side. My existing "High Capacity" BLACK cartridge [now in my machine] has three (3) white gears on the LH side and works perfectly now. Any help or clarification here would be much appreciated. Thanks, Lance

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Re: Xerox 6605DN Toner Cartridge "metered" not working in standard un-metered machine

Metered means it is only for use on machines currently under a Xerox contract.

It won't work unless you rechip it.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Re: Xerox 6605DN Toner Cartridge "metered" not working in standard un-metered machine

Thanks much jhalfhide; I see these chips are sold on eBay at about $5 each. if I put on a new chip, is it then a plug and play replacement? Also, do you happen to know about any differences between the 3 gear vs the 1 gear on the LH side of these cartridges? Thanks, Lance

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Xerox 6605DN Toner Cartridge "metered" not working in standard un-metered machine - H

Quote Originally Posted by lancer2022 View Post
    Hello folks: I have a Xerox 6605DN Xerox Copier that I bought new in 2017 and I need some help with the toner cartridges. I have a new 106R02239 "metered" Yellow toner cartridge that was given to me. When I install this new yellow "metered" cartridge, the screen says INVALID and doesn't work. Both the old and new cartridges look identical and both do fit into the machine but the new "metered" cartridge does NOT work. Can I make this "metered" cartridge work? Also, I did see one other difference between the cartridges. The old (original) yellow cartridge has only one (1) white gear on the LH side but the newer one has three (3) white gears on its LH side. My existing "High Capacity" BLACK cartridge [now in my machine] has three (3) white gears on the LH side and works perfectly now. Any help or clarification here would be much appreciated. Thanks, Lance

Yes this is a toner chip issue.

But can you swap the empty toner chip to your new metered bottle maybe that will work?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lancer2022 View Post
    Thanks much jhalfhide; I see these chips are sold on eBay at about $5 each. if I put on a new chip, is it then a plug and play replacement? Also, do you happen to know about any differences between the 3 gear vs the 1 gear on the LH side of these cartridges? Thanks, Lance
    Yes, the chip will solve your problem but make sure you buy the correct (non metered) chip.

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Yes this is a toner chip issue.

But can you swap the empty toner chip to your new metered bottle maybe that will work?

That will get rid of the invalid cartridge error, but the new cartridge will read empty - or whatever percentage the old cartridge was at. Need to get a new chip. Easy fix. I rechip leftover metered toners all the time.

MRS