Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow 7225 393-320 Xerographic error after toner dump

Hello,

First off, I'm a computer/network tech not a printer tech. So understand there will be huge gaps in my knowledge.

I have a Xerox 7225 that stopped working. It has a 'Xerographic problem, call assistance' message on the screen now.

The yellow toner was replace a month prior then the drum was replaced a couple weeks later. Then the printer stopped working. When I pulled out the drum there was a huge amount of yellow toner all through out the printer.

At that point I air cleaned out a lot of toner throughout the printer. I took off the right side panel and the back two panels and continued the air clean. The toner was everywhere. I pulled the toner cartridges and drums out and cleaned the excess toner there. Yes, my bad, I've since read in this forum that you shouldn't air clean you should vacuum.

After reassembly the error message remained. At that point I replaced the yellow drum and the yellow toner, no go, same error. The magenta toner was empty (through natural use) and I replaced that but oddly it never shows as being full but the replacement/install date is accurate/updated.

Xerox's website suggests reseating the drum (I did that), turning off/on (I did that), and replace the drum (I did that)

When I turn the printer on it seems as if the startup process is interrupted. As I recall there should be longer, noiser piece to the startup. Reading other posts here, I believe the motor(s) are not all being tested. That same (lost) article also included some instructions to boot into a diagnostic mode (with the printer on, hold zero for 5+ seconds, then press Start button, when you get to a login prompt type 6789) and attempt to test a motor. This was not exactly the same error but similar.

Some ideas
    * developer drive? - how difficult is this to source and replace? can I get to it to see if there is a bunch of yellow toner jamming up the gears?
    * I think there main error is kicking off early and never getting to the point to check the state of the magenta toner cartridge (yes/no?)
    * is there a way in Diagnostic Mode to send a move/rotate/engage command to the developer motor?
    * are there any optical sensors I need to clean since my super duper air clean?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    7225 393-320 Xerographic error after toner dump

Re: 7225 393-320 Xerographic error after toner dump

Quote Originally Posted by NevadaTech View Post
    Hello,

First off, I'm a computer/network tech not a printer tech. So understand there will be huge gaps in my knowledge.

I have a Xerox 7225 that stopped working. It has a 'Xerographic problem, call assistance' message on the screen now.

The yellow toner was replace a month prior then the drum was replaced a couple weeks later. Then the printer stopped working. When I pulled out the drum there was a huge amount of yellow toner all through out the printer.

At that point I air cleaned out a lot of toner throughout the printer. I took off the right side panel and the back two panels and continued the air clean. The toner was everywhere. I pulled the toner cartridges and drums out and cleaned the excess toner there. Yes, my bad, I've since read in this forum that you shouldn't air clean you should vacuum.

After reassembly the error message remained. At that point I replaced the yellow drum and the yellow toner, no go, same error. The magenta toner was empty (through natural use) and I replaced that but oddly it never shows as being full but the replacement/install date is accurate/updated.

Xerox's website suggests reseating the drum (I did that), turning off/on (I did that), and replace the drum (I did that)

When I turn the printer on it seems as if the startup process is interrupted. As I recall there should be longer, noiser piece to the startup. Reading other posts here, I believe the motor(s) are not all being tested. That same (lost) article also included some instructions to boot into a diagnostic mode (with the printer on, hold zero for 5+ seconds, then press Start button, when you get to a login prompt type 6789) and attempt to test a motor. This was not exactly the same error but similar.

Some ideas
    * developer drive? - how difficult is this to source and replace? can I get to it to see if there is a bunch of yellow toner jamming up the gears?
    * I think there main error is kicking off early and never getting to the point to check the state of the magenta toner cartridge (yes/no?)
    * is there a way in Diagnostic Mode to send a move/rotate/engage command to the developer motor?
    * are there any optical sensors I need to clean since my super duper air clean?

well you screwed the pooch by BLOWING the toner out.. that's why copier/printer techs have a 3M TONER VACUUM...
    now spend some money and have a certified COPIER tech come and service the machine.

BTW are they using Non-genuine OEM ( crap toner ) ? BIG MISTAKE ...

Yes, as mentioned, I saw other warnings about that too late.

All parts (toners, drums, etc) used in the printer have been genuine Xerox parts.

Does anyone have helpful suggestions - either theirs or ideas I've mentioned?

Is the developer motor included in the drum?

Along those lines, is there any way to tell which drum starts first in the power sequence? Perhaps I have another drum jammed with toner. In this printer the left-most drum is black and the right-most drum is yellow. I was taking for granted that it was starting on the right, failing and not proceeding with the rest of the power up.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Did printer stop work after replacing drum? Which drum have you replaced? Have you shaken it before installing?
    It sounds like one (maybe 2) drum unit need replacing.

So, I swapped out the black drum. My thinking is maybe this is the first drum in the power-on procedure and it was failing. No change.

Next, I swapped in a magenta drum (to the immediate left of the troublesome yellow drum). Now the printer startup seems to include the full 'noisy' part of the procedure.

The error message has now changed. It is now a 361-320 error and the 393-320 is gone. The error message now says Imaging Failure. I could believe this is the transfer belt, only because while shooting air everywhere (again, please don't do that) I noticed the transfer belt had a bunch of toner dust on it. I'm sure this is from my air cleaning and not from the original failure a month ago. If there is an optical sensor in this unit it could be dust covered from the air cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack79 View Post
    Did printer stop work after replacing drum? Which drum have you replaced? Have you shaken it before installing?
    It sounds like one (maybe 2) drum unit need replacing.
    No, the printer worked fine for a few weeks. Now, after replacing the magenta drum (2 of the 4 drums) the printer is starting up further.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

No, the printer worked fine for a few weeks. Now, after replacing the magenta drum (2 of the 4 drums) the printer is starting up further.
    So like you see problem was with r3 drum.

The error message has now changed. It is now a 361-320 error and the 393-320 is gone. The error message now says Imaging Failure. I could believe this is the transfer belt, only because while shooting air everywhere (again, please don't do that) I noticed the transfer belt had a bunch of toner dust on it. I'm sure this is from my air cleaning and not from the original failure a month ago. If there is an optical sensor in this unit it could be dust covered from the air cleaning.
    I swapped in a new transfer belt. No joy, it still says Imaging Error 361-320. I've been searching online and have yet to find an answer to what that error 361-320 means. I put the original transfer belt back in. Looking at it while it was out, the dust was cleared off. I guess there is a mechanism that lightly cleans crap/dust off the transfer belt. There was some serious toner jammed into the back gears. Obviously, I cleaned that out.

Looking at my new parts shelf I have a Second Bias Transfer Roll (008R13087) and a Fuser (008R13087).

Also, I have a cyan drum. I don't see the need to swap in the cyan drum, does anyone else? In fact, I swapped the old black drum with the new and no change (error reverting to 393-320). It appears to me that only the magenta and yellow were hosed.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I swapped in a new transfer belt. No joy, it still says Imaging Error 361-320. I've been searching online and have yet to find an answer to what that error 361-320 means. I put the original transfer belt back in. Looking at it while it was out, the dust was cleared off. I guess there is a mechanism that lightly cleans crap/dust off the transfer belt. There was some serious toner jammed into the back gears. Obviously, I cleaned that out.

Looking at my new parts shelf I have a Second Bias Transfer Roll (008R13087) and a Fuser (008R13087).

Also, I have a cyan drum. I don't see the need to swap in the cyan drum, does anyone else? In fact, I swapped the old black drum with the new and no change (error reverting to 393-320). It appears to me that only the magenta and yellow were hosed.
    You got problem with ros (lsu) unit. I had the same problem after customer blow all dust out (you need to vacuum not blow). If you haven't disconnected any boards (and you got all connectors plugged in) then next step is to replace laser unit. In my case replacing whole ros unit solved the issue.
    By the way when you remove the ros you will see how much toner did you left inside the machine