Thread: Altalink C8035

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

Altalink C8035

Anyone ever seen an Upside Down F on the 7 segment on an Altalink?

It seems to print fine but is having a SMTP Error for which it does NOT kick a code, or record in the error log. Just a status sheet when it fails saying it couldn't send. Config matches up to other machines on site that are working, but, the upside down F on the seven segment has us flummoxed. It's possible we are going down a rabbit hole we don't need to investigate, but the display definitely isn't showing the proper status for a fully functional machine. And, SMTP isn't working... Posting this on behalf of one of the other tech's who just called in for support, so, admittedly I have not witness this myself and he might be missing something - but, he's a good tech with decades of experience on Xerox, so when he calls in for support it's usually a doozy.

Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Altalink C8035

Re: Altalink C8035

Quote Originally Posted by Murv View Post
    Anyone ever seen an Upside Down F on the 7 segment on an Altalink?

It seems to print fine but is having a SMTP Error for which it does NOT kick a code, or record in the error log. Just a status sheet when it fails saying it couldn't send. Config matches up to other machines on site that are working, but, the upside down F on the seven segment has us flummoxed. It's possible we are going down a rabbit hole we don't need to investigate, but the display definitely isn't showing the proper status for a fully functional machine. And, SMTP isn't working... Posting this on behalf of one of the other tech's who just called in for support, so, admittedly I have not witness this myself and he might be missing something - but, he's a good tech with decades of experience on Xerox, so when he calls in for support it's usually a doozy.

Thanks in advance.
    wow brother .. I can honestly say I never saw that either! good luck!

Well, it apparently has nothing to do with the SMTP issue - turns out the Upside Down F is a bad fax card. Pull it out, config for no fax, boots to the ever popular period.

Weird. I have no clue why that isn't in the manual.
    Last edited by Murv; 05-24-2021 at 10:25 PM. Reason: To fix my egregious typo

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Altalink C8035

Well, it apparently has nothing to do with the SMTP issue - turns out the Upside Down F is a bad fax card. Pull it out, config for no fax, boots to the every popular period.

Weird. I have no clue why that isn't in the manual.
    Xerox is known for not putting ALL the error codes in the service manuals.

Dug into it some more. Apparently it will also do this when you have a good fax card, but no line connected. Leave it to Mother Xerox to flip the F upside in an international call of Fax distress.

At any rate, still not sure what they have going on with the SMTP other than they are using a secure cloud server. All of the other units in the place are configured the same way and they are working, so I am sure there is something being missed. I might end up having to go out and look at it myself - or, remote in if the customer will let me. I'm all but certain it's a setup issue that has been missed somewhere along the line.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Just to be absolutely certain they are configured the same, have you set up the clone file sharing between devices?

Steps I'd also be trying would be to change the device IP in case that's being blocked for some reason. Just let it DHCP and find its own address and try again.

I'm also one for trying out our own office365 scan account when I have issues at a customer. Even in this instance where it's one machine, I'd want to see if the machine can scan via another SMTP server (again, thinking maybe it's being blocked).

How have you got the scanning set up? Is it user and password, or is it whitelisted IP?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jhalfhide View Post
    Just to be absolutely certain they are configured the same, have you set up the clone file sharing between devices?

Steps I'd also be trying would be to change the device IP in case that's being blocked for some reason. Just let it DHCP and find its own address and try again.

I'm also one for trying out our own office365 scan account when I have issues at a customer. Even in this instance where it's one machine, I'd want to see if the machine can scan via another SMTP server (again, thinking maybe it's being blocked).

How have you got the scanning set up? Is it user and password, or is it whitelisted IP?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I still haven't had a chance to see the config pages, etc. Different tech handling the call and we've been shorthanded so I've been out and about elsewhere. He apparently spoke to Mother Xerox and they seem to think a firmware reload will fix the issue. He's out there doing it now, so I will update when I know something.

Thx

I still haven't had a chance to see the config pages, etc. Different tech handling the call and we've been shorthanded so I've been out and about elsewhere. He apparently spoke to Mother Xerox and they seem to think a firmware reload will fix the issue. He's out there doing it now, so I will update when I know something.

Thx
    Just checked in with the tech. FW reload fixed it. Firmware... can't live with it, can't delete it...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Altalink C8035

We've had a number of scan to email issues on Toshiba, Kyocera, and Konica Minolta fixed by firmware. We have not been able to document a specific change or fix in the documentation.

Congratulations on the fix. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=