Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Dual OHCF Multifeeds

Dual OHCF Multifeeds

I'm having some difficulties with frequent multifeeds on a MFA dual OHCF... I'm kind of at a loss because the feed mechanisms on these trays seem like they should be really robust, but it can't continuously feed for more than a few minutes before multifeeding. The paper I am using is Hammermill Laser Print 32# (105gsm). It does the same out of Tray 7.

Steps so far:

1) Cleaned the existing rollers. (They looked good, but I cleaned the feed, the reverse and the nudge roller same as I always clean rollers.)
    2) Put brand new rollers in for all three positions.
    3) Adjusted the reverse roller pressure spring to try all three positions with not much difference.
    4) Completely replaced the entire feed assembly with a reported good one.

All that is left is the paper itself, right? The annoying thing is that it feeds A-OK out of the internal trays (on a 700i, which uses roughly the same feed head design) and it feeds flawlessly on the internal trays of a 570 (which uses a much lower-cost cheaper feed head design). It seems bizarre that this workhorse feeder is so unreliable with the same paper that all the other trays are fine with.

Luckily, the 700i's multifeed sensor catches it perfectly every time and stops printing, so I'm not outputting multifeeds without even knowing it.

There are several roller kits for these feeders, I am certain I am using the correct one.

Is there a way, an NVM, to turn the tray air blowers on for ALL paper weights, not just heavier weights? Maybe they would help separate it.

Thanks!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Dual OHCF Multifeeds

mess with the agj on the back guide
    it should be pushed to the left
    and the one on the feed head pushed towards the machine

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Dual OHCF Multifeeds

Quote Originally Posted by azehnali View Post
    mess with the agj on the back guide
    it should be pushed to the left
    and the one on the feed head pushed towards the machine
    Thanks! I think I've played with all the adjustments, but to be sure I'm clear, which ones do you mean? The back guide? Do you mean the one on the reverse roller bracket, that has the three steps and spring? I have played with that one, currently it is on the one with it in the middle since I didn't see much difference either way. I'll move it to the left if that's the one you're talking about.

And the one on the feed head? Do you mean the white slider that raises and lowers the little plastic foot?

If you're referring to the main paper support guides, which adjust to match the paper size and hold it, yes, those are definitely in the right positions up against the paper stack.

Thanks again,

K

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    Thanks! I think I've played with all the adjustments, but to be sure I'm clear, which ones do you mean? The back guide? Do you mean the one on the reverse roller bracket, that has the three steps and spring? I have played with that one, currently it is on the one with it in the middle since I didn't see much difference either way. I'll move it to the left if that's the one you're talking about.

And the one on the feed head? Do you mean the white slider that raises and lowers the little plastic foot?

If you're referring to the main paper support guides, which adjust to match the paper size and hold it, yes, those are definitely in the right positions up against the paper stack.

Thanks again,

K
    Do you mean the white slider that raises and lowers the little plastic foot ((( yes )))

The other one is on the Back guide the one that you adjust the 13 inch paper size , it moves the black plastic piece up and down ,you want to push it to the left

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Dual OHCF Multifeeds

Do you mean the white slider that raises and lowers the little plastic foot ((( yes )))

The other one is on the Back guide the one that you adjust the 13 inch paper size , it moves the black plastic piece up and down ,you want to push it to the left
    Ok, the white slider is in the position you recommended.

The Back guide, I think I might not be familiar with that one. Let me look on the unit and in the manual. I wonder if there is a whole adjustment I've missed.

If it makes any difference, I'm using 8.5 x 11 paper, long edge feed.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Dual OHCF Multifeeds

Oh, yeah. As soon as I pulled out the drawer I realized. Yes, back guide is pushed to the left.

So both of those were where you recommended.

and you have new oem feed roller set?
    do both trays have the same issue?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Dual OHCF Multifeeds

and you have new oem feed roller set?
    do both trays have the same issue?
    Yep, new, genuine Xerox feed rollers. Both do the same. Both feed heavyweight paper perfectly. But regular 90-105gsm paper, not so good.

This one has really got me confused, since all other trays feed this same paper, from the same batch of paper even, happily.

usually that's the case and all I have had to do was to mess with those two adjustments

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Dual OHCF Multifeeds

usually that's the case and all I have had to do was to mess with those two adjustments
    Yeah, this isn't the kind of thing that usually stumps me... haha Paper feeding issues are normally pretty cause-and-effect!

I did find NVMs to made the air-assist blowers run even for thinner paper, so we'll see if that helps. (In my opinion, air almost always helps, as long as it doesn't jostle the paper too much causing it to feed inconsistently.)