I was given a Xerox 550, but it doesn't run (cassette error on all cartridges)

Hi all,

I'm in the lucky position that I was given a Xerox 550, for which I am very grateful. The machine has last printed in 2019, so it's been idle for four years. I get an error on all five cartridges: Toner Cartridge Error, I am to replace all cartridges. I have checked them, and only the Yellow one seems to be empty, the rest still has a lot of toner in them. So, it seems weird that these errors appear for all cassettes.

I have tried to remove the cassettes, switch of the machine, switch it back on again, and them adding one-by-one all cassettes, but the errors are still the same. I am more than willing to buy new toners, obviously, but it seems weird that this error would be correct on all five cassettes. But could it be that they are very old perhaps? Or do you have any other suggestions that I can try? Thanks for the help.

P.S. The machine has been in service-contract up until the last day it has been used in 2019. All original Xerox parts.
    Br, N.

nn.jpg

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: I was given a Xerox 550, but it doesn't run

Quote Originally Posted by nelisinfra View Post
    Hi all,

I'm in the lucky position that I was given a Xerox 550, for which I am very grateful. The machine has last printed in 2019, so it's been idle for four years. I get an error on all five cartridges: Toner Cartridge Error, I am to replace all cartridges. I have checked them, and only the Yellow one seems to be empty, the rest still has a lot of toner in them. So, it seems weird that these errors appear for all cassettes.

I have tried to remove the cassettes, switch of the machine, switch it back on again, and them adding one-by-one all cassettes, but the errors are still the same. I am more than willing to buy new toners, obviously, but it seems weird that this error would be correct on all five cassettes. But could it be that they are very old perhaps? Or do you have any other suggestions that I can try? Thanks for the help.

P.S. The machine has been in service-contract up until the last day it has been used in 2019. All original Xerox parts.
    Br, N.

nn.jpg
    If machine does not ask for a supplies pin then buy only one SOLD cartridge (or chip) to check if it will be accepted.

Re: I was given a Xerox 550, but it doesn't run (cassette error on all cartridges)

That's a good suggestion. Just bought a new black toner. Not sure what you mean by "chip" though.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: I was given a Xerox 550, but it doesn't run (cassette error on all cartridges)

That's a good suggestion. Just bought a new black toner. Not sure what you mean by "chip" though.
    Instead of buying toner cartridge you can buy just SOLD toner chip and replace it with chip currently installed in your toner cartridge.

Make sure you have ordered SOLD cartridge not Metered because it will give you the same error.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack79 View Post
    Instead of buying toner cartridge you can buy just SOLD toner chip and replace it with chip currently installed in your toner cartridge.

Make sure you have ordered SOLD cartridge not Metered because it will give you the same error.
    Thanks for the tip. I just ordered reset chips for the 550 (4x Toner Reset Chip Y/M/C/K fur Xerox Colour 550 560 570 006R01525..28 | eBay). It'll arrive in two days, and will try to activate the cassettes accordingly. Keep you posted, thanks for the help.

She runs! Changing the chips did the trick! Thank you for the tip!

foto2.jpg

Next project: getting the old Fiery server to work. I don't know the "administrator" passwords so I can't start it up. Is there a work-around and/or a standard password?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

She runs! Changing the chips did the trick! Thank you for the tip!

foto2.jpg

Next project: getting the old Fiery server to work. I don't know the "administrator" passwords so I can't start it up. Is there a work-around and/or a standard password?
    Remember you do not know how much toner did you have so you should change toners anyway to avoid future problems. I suggested to buy one chip to check if this was an issue.

I have ordered 5 new toners, will arrive next week, so I will change. But I can't print now, without the Fiery running, so that is the next project

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

You can print on c550 even without fiery.
    Also you can change fiery ip address over machine, you do not need fiery admin password for that