Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Xerox 4110 print quality defect, please help!

Posted about a week ago but I cannot seem to edit my original post or reply to the thread, as I'm only able to view it in print view for some reason. Sorry for that. Moderators, please remove orginal thread..

Anyway: I have a Xerox 4110 that gives a double dark line perpendicular to the print direction (see attached image):

- replaced the transfer belt
    - replaced drum
    - replaced belt cleaner
    - replaced fuser heat and pressure rollers

The defect does not show up on every page, i does so about every 4-5 A3 pages, which confuses me even more.

As you can see in the attachement, the defect is made up of two darker lines. The width between these lines varies slightly, as well as the position of the lines on the page. When I make a solid print with 20% coverage, the lines are not dark, but merely 'fuzzy'. Very rarely the defect repeats itself on one page, the repeat distance being about 12,2 cm (about 4.8 inches).

The defect shows up in both print- and copy mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Check the developer trickle port. Looks like there is some buildup of material around it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that and let you know!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Tried to clean de developer trickle port, but couldn't find much there. I opened developer and used a toner vacuum cleaner to clean excess material and the metering blade, but with no effect at all. I've attached 2 close-up pictures of the defect. Does the developer still look like the problem, or could it be a problem with a drive stalling very briefly, causing a jitter? The problem occurs every 5-8 A3 pages.

IMG_1293.jpgIMG_1292.jpg

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    I thought it ran in process direction. Yes there looks as if a drive gear in the developer or, more likely the drum drive has something wrong. I say the drum because it only happens once in the 8.5x11 image. Does it repeat in an 11x17 image?
    Check and make sure that the waste auger in the back is not bound up.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

It usually does not repeat in and 11x17 image, it doesn't even happen every page. Usually it happens on one page, then it will print fine for 5-8 pages, and it will mess up another page. Once every 50 pages or so the effect may repeat very faintly on a 11x17 page.

I'll check the waste auger, but I should do so from the back right? I happen to have an waste toner auger left, so I guess it's worth the try. If this doesn't help, I should replace the drum motor, most likely?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Check for any cracked or broken drive gears in the drum and dev drive assy's. Run the motors in diagnostics while watching from the back with the back off.