Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    arctic

Request for a binary dump of Xerox drum EEPROM

Hello,

My Xerox DC2240 does not work anymore. It insists that two drums have to be changed. I have checked the drums and they look perfectly fine. Also the printing image was perfect. So I was investigating a bit how the printer knows that the drums have to be changed. Due to this forum I found that there is an EEPROM in the drum cartridge that stores how long the drum was used already.

Thus I have built a programmer to read / write the EEPROM. This works fine. I have a 128kBytes binary file read form the EEPROM. the EEPROM is a 24C01 type of ST. However I was not able (so far) to decode the binaries content. Therefore I do not know which values to change, to make the drum appear as new.

I would appreciate very much if someone would provide me a binary of a virgin drum.
    The precise type number is 013R00579.

If you are interested I can post the binary of the EEPROM that I have read. But the best that I can offer is a binary of an almost fully used drum. I do not have a binary of a new drum.

I am also curious how the binaries content can be understood. If somebody knows I would really like to know.

best regards
    arctic

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Why don't you read data from the other two drums you have?

arctic
    I did, but they are almost used as well. I don't want to reset the chips every week.

Could you show me how you made a programmer?

arctic
    You need some electronics knowledge and suitable components. It is rather easy though.

The schematic is here: SI Prog schematics
    I use PonyProg 2.07c as Programmer.

Pay attention to use only 5V as supply. The RS232 from the PC may have up to +-12V which would kill the EEPROM.
    I have used a USB cable to get the 5V from the PC.

All of that is rather useless though, if you do not have a binary to flash into the EEPROM. If you have a new
    drum that would help.

Those drums can't do much more then have on chips.Like anything else from xerox, in most cases you must change parts before they expire. That's why I don't reset. I hope that someone will help you, but if you don't get files I'll try to make this programmer and send you data from new drum.
    Regards

arctic
    Eventually I have ordered new drums. It seems that nobody out there is willing to share the EEPROM content. I found lots of sellers of replacement chips but nobody who is willing to give away a copy of the EEPROM. The new drums will naturally provide me with a virgin EEPROM.

As I told before, the old drums did not show any sign of wear. The printer image was still perfect. Therefore I don't see any reason why I should have changed them.

By the way, does somebody know what is the precise reason why drums get worse? Is it simply mechanical wear or is it an electric effect or something completely different?

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    hi pay a new drum and copy the data from that and you can use it for ever hi

arctic

send me your email, I have bin file for your machine.