PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C351 Jam 7041 Finisher

Custom Search

mrfuser
09-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Anyone know what causes the 7041 code on the Bizhub C351? Looks like the paper just stops, not hitting anything.

Thanks

Kelly

Stirton.M
09-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Would that be a 7401 instead of the 7041? The latter is nowhere to be seen in my manuals.

The former however, is.

The jammed paper is found just after the hole punch area, according to my manual. Does the finisher make an obnoxious sound at the exact same time of the jam? If so, a bushing on the back side has gummed up with dirt and there is too much drag as the paper makes a passage through. Solution is to clean the bushing and shaft. This sounds easy, but is not. There are several shafts connected to each other through a couple belts, identifying which and servicing the specific trouble maker is not always easy. If it is making an awful noise, let me know, I will provide images for what and where to look.

If there is no noise and you get a jam event, possible trouble area may be a dirty or defective sensor or finisher control board. Without a hands on visual of what is going on, I cannot tell you much more.

Printer People
12-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I have this exact problem - just about to strip the FS603 and see whats gummed up but it look a night mare to strip - any help pointer welcome.

Stirton.M
12-14-2010, 06:35 AM
If the machine does a kind of annoying high pitch hum at the moment of the jam and then throws the jam event, it is quite likely a bushing has gummed up. A test I perform is to open the upper cover, and then cheat the door interlock. The machine will do a cycle action and drive the rollers seen in this section. I lightly press on one of the rollers to put a little drag as they turn. They should have a fair amount of drive torque before they quite and do that annoying hum/squeal (the stepper motor stalls and makes this noise). If you barely touch them and the motor stalls, likely the bushing has stalled. If the bushing is fine, then there is a high probability the driver chip for the step motor is failing...replace/repair the finisher board is the only option for that issue if the bushings are good.

Remove the rear cover. Remove the front cover. Remove the cover that has the nylon strap connected to the upper door.

Under that specific cover is a roller, that if you follow it to the rear side, you will see a brass bushing mounting that shaft to the main frame. It is a bit of a bear to get at. Some techs take the lazy approach and throw lube on that bushing. It fixes it for a couple days and eventually makes it worse. Remove the belt and pulleys associated with it so you can get at that bushing and remove the bushing completely from the machine. If you are lucky, the shaft and the bushing are just gummed up. Worse case is the shaft itself is severely scored and the bushing is out of round. In that case, the shaft should be replaced along with a new bushing (this is not an easy operation, fyi). If its just gummed up, clean with alcohol and reassemble.

One recommendation I should make is that these bushings do not have a lot of surface area relatively speaking. If you can find a longer bushing that has the same shaft diameter and outside diameter, use that in place of the short thing that comes stock. I do this as a modification on all my machines and have had no issues.

As a point of note, a similar bushing that is on a roller shaft below the staple unit can also have this problem, though that is more rare than the one I described. To find that one, follow the path of the long belt, it will lead you to that shaft I speak of. That one is a major pain to get at.

Custom Search